Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bud Moore Torino

bbowser

This is what I've got on the bench right now. I'm on a kick of older cars, I love doing the research and learning new things about the 'good ole days'. NASCAR outlawed the big inch motors around 71-72 and Ford had pulled their factory backing as a result. Bud Moore put a 351ci in a Torino and went racing, first with David Pearson and then Bobby Isaac in the seat. This is the car I hope to replicate:

15Torino2.jpg

15Torino.jpg

I started with the Johan kit I've had in the stash forever. I'm really impressed with this kit. I've built my share of Johan 'unassembled promos' but this one is really well detailed, especially the chassis.

SAM_2289.jpg

I raided the spares for a small-block Ford engine and tires from an AMT Thunderbird. I used the kit open steelies but widened them a bit to fit the tires.

SAM_2282.jpg

SAM_2285.jpg

I've got paint and foil on the body.

SAM_2287.jpg

These are the decals I got from Southernmotorsports, I think they're Cady as they're multi-layer?

SAM_2293.jpg

I usually don't do WIPs as it takes me so freaking long to finish a build, but this one's halfway there so I may get it on the shelf by Christmas!

Thanks for looking and comments welcome.

That looks interesting, I will be watching for sure. You're right about the quality of Jo-Han kit, it is really excellent compared to other Jo-Han kits. Your chassis looks very good so far, and I like the paint job too. Looks good, can't wait to see more.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I finally finished this one last night, so much for being done by Christmas! :lol:

The interior was no fun, no positive mounting points for anything-not even vague clues. The instructions weren't much help either, typical JoHan. Anyway I'm calling it done, moving on to the next one. Thanks for looking.

SAM_2472_zps1c655e01.jpg

SAM_2475_zpsd38b47ed.jpg

SAM_2473_zps35a1c139.jpg

SAM_2474_zps6df4546b.jpg

An excellent build of a challenging kit! It turned out great! Did you Dullcoat the chrome bumpers, or are they repainted, and if so, what color paint did you use on them?

Thanks for all the kind words, I had a difficult time with this one. Two part decals were the biggest problem. I had the first one down and dry (overnight) and when I went to put the second one over it they both would move! They did not react well with Solvaset, the hood spotted and took some touch up. I got very frustrated but finally got them all down.

Mark, the front bumper is OOB chrome, the rear was all dinged and scratched so I soaked it in the purple pond and sprayed it aluminum.