Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hott Bloxx motor and custom re-opened

ajulia

Hey guys! thanks for stoppin by and for the kind words! I jus wanted to say i love the work in progress section of the forum, alot of informative how to's come from here and i try and soak up as much as possible. I racked my brain trying figure out how to simulate vinyl tops and leather till no end and then one morning it popped in my head like the cartoons! Anyway! Ive tried applying various methods and it seems to me using U-Hauls cardboard tape gives it a really cool texture plus the right amount off sheen to the tops. I love tan rag tops so leaving the tape its natural color suits me fine but if color matching is needed I havent ran into any major problems using enamel and then clearing.

The Eldorado and the 49' merc will be in the show-case area of Hott Bloxx ( Whenever that comes to life lol)I pressed some metal between a vice to make the sun visor on the merc, which has to be epoxied and the trunk lid placed and this Friday nite street stroller will be done. I get so excited talkin about the projects that I jus wanted to update the thread heres the pics of the 49' merc

DSCF5550.jpg

DSCF5524.jpg

DSCF5525.jpg

I also have the DB 4 that i started along with the datsun that i posted earlier. This is complete minus the trunk lid in need of polishing out, chrome trim applied and finally hinged to the body

DSCF5761.jpg

DSCF5762.jpg

DSCF5763.jpg

As always my good friends thanks for stoppin by and checkin us out here at Hott Bloxx M n C Heheheheheehh!! keep on wit the keepin on!!

peace

Tito

I like the look of all these, but the roofs on the Caddy and Merc really look like leather! U-Haul cardboard tape you say .. hmmmmm

Hola Mike! Its good to hear from ya friend! Ive always wanted to ask you if your avatar is of the real and correct me if im wrong but the bmw or a subject you built up! As for the tape yes sir man i couldnt believe it myself. Also if the hurdle should arise where curves are lifting the tape start by dampening the tape and making slits at a v angle to cover cut marks once over the bend or curve. Once the tape is placed yer even able to stretch it a bit as long as you use some sorta balsa wood to keep from abrasing the top surface of the tape.

If at all you decide to try and run into anything yer more than welcome to gimme a jingle!

Thanks for stoppin!

peace

Tito

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all! Back at it again!! When i first registered here to this way cool site filled with way cool people my first project was a 41'plymouth coupe! its gone through numerous ideas and styling cues but nothing stood out like the idea im trying implement here!

Using the pro-mod kits for the chassis and powerline this is where she sits as of today and porobably for snother year or two lol! Well not really i got the jones for this one and will get the body in paint once the belly and interior are complete! heres the pics and you guys are awesome thanks for stoppin!

This was the first go around in 08'

DSCF1311.jpg

Here she is after this weekend

DSCF5812.jpg

DSCF5811.jpg

DSCF5808.jpg

DSCF5806.jpg

Ive always wanted to ask you if your avatar is of the real and correct me if im wrong but the bmw or a subject you built up! As for the tape yes sir man i couldnt believe it myself. Also if the hurdle should arise where curves are lifting the tape start by dampening the tape and making slits at a v angle to cover cut marks once over the bend or curve. Once the tape is placed yer even able to stretch it a bit as long as you use some sorta balsa wood to keep from abrasing the top surface of the tape.

If at all you decide to try and run into anything yer more than welcome to gimme a jingle!

Thanks for stoppin!

peace

Tito

Thanks for the info on using that tape. My avatar is a model of one of the Porsche 944's I had. I actually had to post a thread because everyone has asked me about it! Here's a link to that thread. I'm adding a photo of the real engine to it as I see it is missing.

• 2 weeks later...

J' and Mike thanks for stoppin fella! Thanks for the kinds words too! The plymouth is actually the next one up for the finish line! lol Heres where weve gotten over the last week or so! I wanted to post the updates and my responses earlier however the internet access has been down for a while and I have been busy packing up! As always good friends thanks for stoppin on in! Lotta pics guys LOL

DSCF5912.jpg

DSCF5916.jpg

DSCF5915.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all! With the move taken place and the girls and I safely in Va needless to say the bench is closed for relocation lol! All that was left is scrap pieces of styrene everywhere so i decided to scratch some more equipment for the shop. I googled for shop tools and came up with a few drill presses. Next will be the vehicle lifts from Rotary; and pipe bender from Dake and a parts washer.

DSCF5922.jpg

DSCF5925.jpg

Im not sure if I had posted these items on the thread but these were done sometime ago. I tried replicating a few engine stands and a hoist. Being that Hott Bloxx is a motor and custom shop we had to save our lil copper coins to get the dyno into the shop to accomadate the customers with brute power in mind!! lol

DSCF5210.jpg

DSCF5233.jpg

DSCF5230.jpg

Also I used the suitcases from the Aston Martin DB4 kit to package the lil treats the shop recieved from the "Land down under' we all know how the Aussies boys n girls love their turbo inductions! No harm intended and in no way to be taken seriously! I used the inside of the cigarette boxes to give the cases a pleated steel look and some velour from a purse lining in the inside

DSCF5920.jpg

The shop should be re-open within the month to come so stay tuned for more from yer buddies at Hott Bloxx M & C lol I crack myself up! As always keep on wit the keepin on!! and thanks for stoppin!

tito

• 1 month later...

Hello guys! Jus droppin in for a brief update. The shop is finally outta the moving boxes and back on the bench! The garage bench!! Yahhooooooo!.

This has been a very long wait and a stressful one at that! The storage facility has kept Hott Bloxx as hostage for jus over two months. The paperwork was processed and we're finally in our home. Needless to say once on the bench I was very anxious in getting started on the 41' again. The previous update shows the body mods done to get the dynamics for the subject and this update will include the hinges for the door and the remaining body panels molded in trim. I hope to get to the final mold trim for the hood area and then off to get a coat of primer. 4-5-1141plymouthpromodupdate002.jpg

4-5-1141plymouthpromodupdate003.jpg

4-5-1141plymouthpromodupdate005.jpg

4-5-1141plymouthpromodupdate008.jpg

This is my first take on a subject of this matter and I know I have learned a bit gathering tech's and how to illustrations from alot of you guys here at MCM thanks for the help!! So if theres any ideas or follow ups anyone is willing to give please post away your thoughts! As always folks thanks for stoppin by and keep on wit the keepin on!!

• 4 months later...

Hello all! Back at it again! This time just updating the Hott Bloxx thread with one of many that will enter to this years T.A.M.S. contest here in Norfolk this October. For those that may be in the VA beach Va and Norfolk area please stop in on the 22nd of October at

Venue VFM POST 4809

5728 Bartee St

Norfolk, VA 23502

Heres the Ferrari Testarossa that will be built up for the factory stock 1971 and newer. When I think of the 80's I remember bright colored clothes, big cell phones, and Don Juans''... Heres my interpretation of a ladies man hitting the scene in Miami, Fl on a weedend night..

Chassis:

DSCF7034.jpg

Engine bay:

DSCF7030.jpg

DSCF7029.jpg

Interior shot with scratch'd 2 dozen roses

DSCF7031.jpg

DSCF7032.jpg

• 10 months later...

Hello all! I hope life finds you in the best of health and the workbench steady!! As for the Juliagans here life is a bit crazy with the school year ending and getting ready for the summer fun! Although I have not been on the board I been hiting the workbench regularly and the update should prove how much of a busy bee Ive been LOL

First up is the Tony Nancy Ford rail racer. Not much to it but a OOB

tonynancy32fordraildragger2.jpg

tonynancy32fordraildragger.jpg

Next up is the Ford pickup! OOB with my first hand at aclad for the exhaut manifolds and exhaust system and a tailgate chain with woodgrain bed

daddys55ford.jpg

daddys55ford2.jpg

daddys55ford3.jpg

Finishing up the update with my panther pink Road Runner built up for my wife because " Its time for another pink car honey"... lol

jennrose70rr.jpg

jennrose70rr2.jpg

jennrose70rr3.jpg

Last up for now is my recently found love is the amt superwagon 65 chevelle. This kit was purchased three times since my last visit to the lhs. This project will be the stock version and the other two.... Well we will have to wait to see if I can get away wth building them the way I envision them..

This is my stock turned volunteer emergency vehicle with a lil' bite under the hood..

papis65superwagon.jpg

papis65superwagon2.jpg

papis65superwagon3.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hey all!! Greetings from the juligan clansmen!! Lol here's the 72' challenger that's been on the work bench some of the bmf came off while polishing so ill have to fix that and begin final assembly. the paint is MM graphite metallic and the side stripes are decals. wheels were taken from the monogram 70 roadrunner and tires were from the kit! For the powerplant kit motor with velocity stacks from the parts box. the kit came with supercharged items so I had to scratch up some pulleys and alternator.. will post up more pics when final assembly is near the end.. see ya round and thanx for stopping

post-2014-0-43336600-1350226672_thumb.jp

Edited by ajulia