Model Cars Magazine Forum

'41 Willys Pickup Gasser circa late '60s - Finished

gasser59

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I pulled this build back out of storage several months ago and shot it light blue with a rattle can. It looked terrible so into the purple pond it went. The paint on the resin cab came right off, the truck bed is a different story and its still in the pond and is slowly, very slowly, taking off the paint.

This was getting so close to completion, I need to finish this.

Edited by gasser59

I was finally able to spend some time on this ancient build. Got the disk brakes on the rear long with the wheel backs and the rest of the paint off of the cab. The truck bed is still sitting in the purple pond. I'll give it a good scrub tonight and post some pics. 

Thanks Kerry. The ride height is what drew me to build this, had to be up in the air.

Got a bit done over the weekend including the rest of the fuel lines, fuel pump and gas tank. Engine is glued in with telescoping drive shaft in place. I put a piece of aluminum printing plate over the frame where the as tank is and riveted it in. Still need to connect the fuel line to the tank but that's a minor detail. Need to run the return line from the fuel distribution block in front of the injectors. 

Here's a few pictures including one showing the stance. 

More this week, stay tuned.

Thanks Steve. In reviewing the photos, I've come to realize there just isn't much room between the engine compartment and the interior tub for a firewall. I'll probably need to fabricate one from printing plate. Maybe even try some bead rolling on it. I hope I don't need to cut off the front part of the interior tub.

Brad, is that the excellent Ed Fluck cab body ?  Chassis from what kit?  pick up bed is from AMT ?  I am making the Fluck body with Revell Maz chassis, but having some difficulty fitting the bed- I've got a generic resin copy of the AMT bed I think. Thx.

Yes Steve, that is the excellent Ed Fluck cab, one of his last ones available. I used the chassis from the AMT pickup kit as well as the bed, as you noted. I'm having an issue with the interior tub fitting with the slight engine set back. Think I'm going to need to make one out of aluminum sheet.

Post some pics Steve unless you have a thread started. if that's the case, please supply a link.

Yes Steve, that is the excellent Ed Fluck cab, one of his last ones available. I used the chassis from the AMT pickup kit as well as the bed, as you noted. I'm having an issue with the interior tub fitting with the slight engine set back. Think I'm going to need to make one out of aluminum sheet.

Post some pics Steve unless you have a thread started. if that's the case, please supply a link.

I had heard that "ventilated disc rotors" are only good for road racing. I have no idea if it's true or not. Just sayin'.

Legal NHRA gassers were required to run a radiator. Many of these radiators were severely cut down. Of course there was quite a few non legal gassers for many of the match races.

Hi Mike, great that you show some insight, I'd bet money you know a thing or two about these tidbits.  Thanks for the input.

Brad, good that you're on this one again.

Well, dang. I may have to reconsider the radiator thing. Its really tight up in front of the engine and its as far back as it can go. 

I have some bench time yesterday and began work on the interior tins since the original kit interior tub wasn't going to work with the engine setback. Using a heavier gauge of printing plate than I normally use. Since the walls are considerably thinner than the kit's original plastic ones, this will allow me more room on the interior and I can move the firewall back some. I'm also thinking of making an aviator seat out of aluminum as well, unless NHRA rules wouldn't allow that.

Here's a few pictures of where I'm at. The first one shows the firewall.

This is the best I could get of the interior.

One side still to rivet together.

Hopefully more bench time tonight.

• Dave Ambrose changed the title to Willys Pickhttp://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/52262-willys-pickup-circa-late-60s-finally-some-paint-pics-1226/up circa late '60s - Finally Some Paint Pics 12/26