Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 FORD - MODELHAUS RESIN KIT - FINISHED

Ramfins59

one thing though, when i have seen curb feelers, they have both been on the right side, one in front, one in back, usually right in back of the rear wheel opening, but both on the right side. thats so when you are parallel parking you hear the curb feeler scrape the curb back there before your bodywork hits the curb, whereas the front ones are for when you nose into a curb. looks good with them both on the front because they are symetrical that way but i think i real life both are on the same, curb, side.

It depends on where you live! If you are in a city, Brooklyn NY for instance, much of the residential streets are one way streets with parking on both sides. Then the left side curb feelers come into play for parking on the left side of the street. If you don't do that often, it feels very weird.

Nice build!! The '58 Fords are a pretty car and your build looks great, to say the least! I always really liked the side trim treatment on the Fairlane 500! I much prefer the '57 Fairlane in many ways, but the '58's had their sweet spots too.

In 1975, I bought a '58 Ford convertible from a scrap dealer who lived near me. It was a red car ( originally red and white ) with a red and white interior and aside from the original wheel covers, radiator, engine and transmission, it was complete, but weathered. The only rust was of course, over the headlights and the bottom of the driver's rear quarter behind the rear wheel opening was bent out wards a bit - but it was an easy fix. The car had led a short but fast paced and abused life as it was a graduation present for a spoiled kid when it was brand new and the stories were that he had driven the living snot out of the car before blowing up the original engine and then replacing it with a 390 and a four speed. The final straw was when the drive shaft failed and the kid sold the car for scrap to the man who I got it from.Apparently, according to the yard owner, the car had been in his yard since the mid to late '60's and he had sold the engine and transmission right away after which the car sat untouched..

The floors had survived because the rubber floor mats had long before been removed and replaced with a layer of shag carpet and being as we live in a desert climate, the carpet would dry out after a rain and the floors were able to survive,

The guy who owned it was a scrap guy and on that particular day when I bought the car, he was in the process of cutting a bunch of cars so that he could haul them to the coast for scrap. When I asked him if he was going to do the same to the convertible. he responded yes and I asked him how much he wanted for it. he was quiet for a few seconds and told me that the front spindles were worth six dollars ( yes - $6.00 :wacko::unsure::(:):D:D:D ) and he said that if I wanted to give him that for the car - it was mine! I told him that I'd think about it for a couple of days and I offered him three dollars.. ^_^ - no - I'm kidding . Seriously - I do not think that a fiver and a one dollar bill ever changed hands faster in history!

It took my brother and I a full day to extricate the poor car from where it had sat for a few years against a fence, but we got it out and I hauled it home. I sold it a few years later in a stupid move that I have always regretted and now all I have left is a memory.It was one of those cars that comes along once in a lifetime - especially for the price that I paid for that one and to my knowledge, the car ended up in Oregon. Hopefully, it has been properly restored and lives on. Sorry for the ramble.. it's a story that is hard to believe I know, but that was before Barrett Jackson and Ebay and the likes screwed the hobby up with inflated prices and media hype. At least that's my opinion of it all.