Model Cars Magazine Forum

putting windows onto model cars

I have found a major disadvantage (for me) with white glue and craft glue - one cannot wash one's models when using them. Water will dissolve the glue. Hence only use those when you employ different methods to keep your models clean.

I use UHU Plus:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UHU-Plus-2-Part-Fast-Setting-Epoxy-Adhesive-Super-Glue-/270709867198

It is a fast setting epoxy which dries 100% clear. I've used it for the past 25 years and can vouch that it will stay clear. I also use it to attach chrome trim and bumpers.

I've been using Testors glue for clear parts for over a year and it's pretty decent. Before that I was using Micro Krystal Klear.

My method is to set the glass in place and hold it in place with blue painters tape for an hour or so and then remove the tape. I don't want to get tape residue on the paint.

It is a fast setting epoxy which dries 100% clear. I've used it for the past 25 years and can vouch that it will stay clear. I also use it to attach chrome trim and bumpers.

Christian, when you say that it dries clear, do you mean that it won't yellow over time? All the epoxies I've ever used seem to yellow after so long. It's one of the reasons I don't like to use epoxy for headlights as an example.

Christian, when you say that it dries clear, do you mean that it won't yellow over time? All the epoxies I've ever used seem to yellow after so long. It's one of the reasons I don't like to use epoxy for headlights as an example.

I've been using 5 minute epoxy for glass and headlights for a long time now and never had any turn yellow. I like using the epoxy as it has a strong bond and dries clear.

I recently bought a jar of Tamiya "Extra-Thin" Liquid Cement. I has a small brush and produces good results. Tape your window in place, and apply a drop of cement along the edges on the inside of the model. Capillary Action will draw the cement into the joint.

No, this stuff doesn't yellow. And as I said, I use it for 25 years now.