Model Cars Magazine Forum

1936 MG SA Saloon

kennb

Today marks 30 days since I started the construction of this project. I am on track to finish the second week or March. :P

I have only done some details today on the chassis. Brake lines and fuel lines to the back, and setting up the exhaust system. Also worked on the brake drums.

There are more photos on photobucket than I post so be sure to get the whole story there. B) I dont feel like I have done much even tho I spent a lot of time on it today.

DSCN3453_zps89d4f271.jpg

DSCN3455_zpsa1828c64.jpg

DSCN3466_zps90ecef7b.jpg

DSCN3465_zps6e0b56d8.jpg

DSCN3464_zps34983b82.jpg

Some of the details on top of the rear end will not be seen on the finished model since they are buried under the rest of the model so they are faked in instead of a lot of fussy detailing. I also worked some on getting the stance perfected and front wheel openings set up up and finished off to fit the wheels a little cleaner. ;)

DSCN3462_zpsc645b96c.jpg

Thank you for looking. I hope that you get something out of the process that you can apply to your own builds, even something minor. :)

Kenn ;)

I have yet to put my fingers on a photo of one of these cars. I thought I had one in my collection but no luck yet. This is indeed a most impressive model. I only wish I had 10% of your skills! I will be able to use the technique on a Model T I am working on and you have inspired me to take a crack at building a whole body...for a Model T. That is a totally different animal than what you are doing! I look forward to additional steps along the way.

Eric

How much of that big sheet of styrene have you used on this so far?

This is kinda hard to answer directly in as that some was used for experimentation. I am guessing through experience that I have used about 2 square feet of .40 and 1/2 square foot of .20.

I am going to digress for a bit here telling how I came to choose this model. I was on a hunt for cars in India (on the net, of course) and came across a few photos of a sad looking car that just intreaged me.

The shape and flowing lines of this car were so indicative of the luxury cars in Europe of the 30's. The long hood, the wire wheels and rounded body are so smooth. I had to find out what it was.

193639_MG_SA_Saloon_zps06f6f49a.jpg

193639_MG_SA_saloon_1_zps885c2212.jpg

There are many clues as to the identity if you knew nothing of this car, which I didnt. The badge on the radiator is gone so that was of little help. This picture was part of a forum that many people had different guesses but one stood out and that was the MG Saloon post. So I started to do google searches for it and it came up to be correct.

I researched and thought about this car for about a month before I decided that this is going to be a build. I had the materials on hand so I could start.

The material is a small part of the build. It is amazing as to the amount og glue required to do something of this nature. I am going on my second bottle, which ends up costing more than the plastic does. Since the nearest hobby shop is Carrs in Duluth,(30 miles) I have to plan for this. (not always working outsince I ran out of glue past night and cant get to Carrs untill Friday.

The is a lot of experimenting and making of parts that I will not use, but they lead to finishing the final project. The headlights are giving me problems in getting the different sizes needed for this and getting them finished the way I want. I have made about 10 so far to get 2 that I deam acceptable and the exact same size.

So as you can see there is a lot more to a project of this size than cutting and pasting plastic but is worth all the time for the final car. Starting to scratch build components like a body and mating it to a kit frame is a good start. The hardest part is to get the curves close to right. Since I have no drawings for this car like I did on the others I have done it is very much seat of the pants building, using your eye and judgement. I do know that the motor is slightly overscale but works out ok in as that is fille the engine compartment and looks massive in there.

Enuff rambleing for now....back to sanding and building.. :D

Kenn :unsure:

Further information on the materials used. Self explanitory. :P

DSCN3470_zps6f334423.jpg

DSCN3471_zpsf34711d4.jpg

Also are a few shots of the partial assembly, along with a scale to get a size relation.

DSCN3472_zps9854477d.jpg

DSCN3473_zps9ec814dc.jpg

DSCN3474_zpsaa8ca9ec.jpg

The hood does not fall correctly at this point since the fenders are not seated in the final position. The have a pin that will be flattened on final assemble to seat them properly and then the hood will nestle down to the correct position and fit right. :wacko: (so the plan says)

Kenn :)

I have been putting off the transmission, not quite knowing how to approach the construction. Then I looked in a box of stuff from doing the thermal forming and spotted something that could work. I tryed it and much to my surprise it all fit together just perfectly.

DSCN3477_zps4e2eb6ce.jpg

DSCN3480_zpsb5609376.jpg

The seam shows a little but I can live with that since very little will show when the car is assembled. It fit right where I had the floor mounted top load shifter.

DSCN3479_zps9e4677cd.jpg

I also have the muffler in place and the header cut to fit in place but it is not shown. I also added some details to the underside that are not much more than some detailing to create more interest when it is over the mirror in the display.

DSCN3481_zps828c439f.jpg

I have since finished the brake lines but no picture yet.

For more pictures (almost 300) you can use the previous link to see more details and other photos that I have not put up.

Thank you for looking and the comments...They keep me going and trying to get things better as I go.

Kenn :rolleyes:

Thank you for that comment, but I think anyone can do a few of the things I have done, taking time and patience to do it. you just have to keep trying things. :rolleyes:

I finally have the front jacks installed and piped along with the rear jacks. Some of the details I added to the chassis that I didnt know how they were going to work out ended up being a metering valve for the front jacks. :P

DSCN3491_zps9dc09921.jpg

DSCN3489_zpsf0c942fa.jpg

DSCN3488_zps396391bc.jpg

Thanks for the support on seeing this project to the completion. It has ended up being more details that I origional planned. :blink:

Back to the interior to get the dash done. I have the major part roughed out and working on the gauge cluster.

DSCN3493_zpsee5ec675.jpg

The steering wheel is started but dont like the size so I may do it over.

DSCN3495_zps35a8edad.jpg

The front window opens and closes so I needed a frame for the glass so I can have it open in the completed model.

DSCN3497_zps0df5f4b6.jpg

I have also picked out the wires for the spark plugs. I will be using the same size for other electrical lines also. It has been donated by the telephone company :lol: .

I have used it before and works out very well. I will be installing all the wiring after the paintwork is done.

DSCN3499_zps7ad1f72f.jpg

Again, thank you all who visit my build.

Kenn -_-

I completed the dash this morning. This is how I did it.

DSCN3502_zps79f2e00c.jpg

DSCN3503_zpse7dea6f8.jpg

DSCN3504_zpsef6de7ff.jpg

DSCN3505_zpsd21f0db9.jpg

DSCN3506_zps6ffbb3fd.jpg

DSCN3514_zps0fa916c6.jpg

I also got to the lights now after a lot of looking for the right things to make the cans with.

DSCN3511_zps977e7b64.jpg

Lot of sanding and they will be ready for chrome. :P

thank you all for the comments and sharing of ideas.

thanks to all those that are keeping up watching...... :rolleyes: