Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Badman

THarrison351

OK,

Needed some relief from my last headache build. I looked at all the kits around the house and picked this much maligned gasser that many of us built as a kid. I've had this one since Monogram reissued them with original art a few years ago. Most of the prebuild was done back then so it just needed paint and glue. I have to say it is simple, but everything fits and I like the completed look. Also, I had good luck with the airbrush again.

IMG_0004interior1_zps0462ba58.jpg

IMG_0002interior1_zps0dbd1a73.jpg

Nothing fancy, but I did add a little color to highlight the interior. I also tried to duplicate a gold metalflake rim with turnsignal amber.

IMG_00013_zpsed4c98e6.jpg

Fixed that exhaust from the original 55 Chevy mold.

IMG_00081-1_zps46b33d8c.jpg

Nothing fancy, just paint and I can't figure out why this thing keeps rotating.

IMG_00031-1_zpsf7f676f7.jpg

Tried to duplicate the box art by smoothing the turn indicators.

IMG_00041_zps042dc74a.jpg

IMG_00021-1_zpscaa8794b.jpg

IMG_00011-1_zps09ed8d03.jpg

IMG_00061_zpsfb23c20a.jpg

Cut out the drivers window to see inside.

Thanks for looking.

This is one of my favorite kits from back in the day and you did a great job on this build Tim! The extra work you did on it makes a big difference! Especially on the chassis. The color looks dead on! What did you use?

Actually Harry, although it has it's inaccuracies to be sure, this thing is a lot closer to passing as a gasser than a great many other models posted here that claimed to be a "Gasser"... :D

There's a big difference between a model builder claiming his creation is a "gasser" and a model manufacturer claiming their kit is a "gasser." The manufacturer should do their homework.

How many gassers had exhaust headers and a street exhaust system???!!! :rolleyes:

There's a big difference between a model builder claiming his creation is a "gasser" and a model manufacturer claiming their kit is a "gasser." The manufacturer should do their homework.

How many gassers had exhaust headers and a street exhaust system???!!! :rolleyes:

True that. But what i meant was those glaring inaccuracies.. (not that the dual system wasn't glaring) Like...an altered wheelbase, or a nose that's sky high or no cooling system at all...things like that. At least that 55 isn't grossly wrong!

Even with all the bad raps this kit gets it sure brings back memories ( apparently I am not the only one ) . I love it. Kudos to the op.

I have 2 of the re-issues from a few years ago waiting patiently in the wings. One will be built , one will stay sealed ,,,,,,,,,,just because it is one from my early days .

Edited by gtx6970