Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm Back! And here's the WIP Chopper I rode in on...

Steve H.

Work and life have been keeping me away from building, so I try to get a little in here and there. I started one of the new Revell choppers as a quick simple project (There's an Oxymoron!) and here's the results so far...

Crusader1-vi.jpg

Duplicolor Red Metalspecks with Tamiya clear red top coat and testors lacquer clear. I used the long tank with the short tank graphics (kinda worked well) and the wheels from the Aces Wild chopper. The rest of the build will be pretty straightforward, just need to do some wiring and cabling. The forks/handlebars are Alclad chrome, as will be the trans parts and exhaust. The only real mod made so far was the bar under the seat, ahead of the rear fender. I cut out the origonal and put in a curved bar to clear the fender, so I could be sure of getting paint in there.

Crusader2-vi.jpg

All in all, these kits are pretty cool, although I'm dissappointed in the seams that need to be cleaned up. I think they're kinda rough for a new mold, but oh well, nuthin' we can't overcome, huh?

Of course, nothing's easy! I wasn't paying attention and put the fender decal on backwards, so I had to trim a painted, decaled part. I masked off the top side and did a quick paint coverup on the cut and then found out I had to trim the fork mounting tab also.

CrusaderFender-vi.jpg

That's a pretty shade of red. Looks great! Nice save on the fender. And you got the tappet block/pushrod tubes on the right cylinders. I've seen several people reversing them. The front and rear tubes should be the furthest from the cylinders.

Can't wait to get ahold of a couple of these. If the LHS doesn't get them soon I'll have to hit the Bay...

• 4 weeks later...