Model Cars Magazine Forum

Penske RS Spyder (ALMS)

Brendan

Started working on the Studio 27 kit. Looks like it's going to be a pretty easy build. I'm using Scalefinishes factory correct paint. First time using this product so I shot a test sample. The paint covers extremely well and lays down well. Very little orange peel if any. Easily sanded out. Was able to get some of the parts painted. Most of the stuff is in primer. Rims and other small parts painted with different shades of Alclad. Next step is the body itself. Fairly clean flashing wise, though there are some mold lines that stick out quite a bit so they'll have to be sanded. I'll update you when I get more done.

IMG_1237.jpg

IMG_1238.jpg

Here's the Scalefinishes paint. The test piece lying up against the bottles has a clear coat on it. Scalefinishes paint was sprayed over their gray primer.

IMG_1234.jpg

IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1242.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

Edited by Brendan

Brendan, nice work! I look forward to your progress.

This is one of those models I was hoping Revell of Germany would produce. I like the looks of the Porsche RS over the Audi.

Thumbs up on the Scalefinishes paint. I love it.

Chris

I am a fan of road racing and I have seen your work

All I can say is you r d men!!! and I will be watching and learning.

and hope REVELL OF GERMANY will release this one as well.

for us that can't afford to buy the resin kits.

for now will be enjoying your build.

Edited by 3men2s

I'm going to have to look at the pictures when I get home. Our office blocks them at the firewall.

I just wanted to know if you were adding the two little curls at the front of the under tray. I also glued the two side tray pieces to the main tray and filled the screw holes. I did all that and have the tray painted and ready for my trip to Mid Ohio tomorrow. Hope to get Timo and Romain to autograph it.

If you don't mind I could post the modifications I made to the tray here on this thread. Let me know.

Anyway, I'm curious about the red color too.

Keep us posted.

How well does that DHL red match the decals?

Looks good.

Jameston

Unfortunately it does not match the decals that well. It's a dead-on match for all the photos I have, but the decals are more of a bright red like Tamiya's TS-49. I'm going to try shooting the red over some white to see if that lightens it up a little bit.

IMG_1243.jpg

I'm going to have to look at the pictures when I get home. Our office blocks them at the firewall.

I just wanted to know if you were adding the two little curls at the front of the under tray. I also glued the two side tray pieces to the main tray and filled the screw holes. I did all that and have the tray painted and ready for my trip to Mid Ohio tomorrow. Hope to get Timo and Romain to autograph it.

If you don't mind I could post the modifications I made to the tray here on this thread. Let me know.

Anyway, I'm curious about the red color too.

Keep us posted.

Jim, feel free to post whatever you'd like. It's always nice to see someone else's build. Might give me ideas.

Got a little more work done. Roll hoops are glued in and puttied up. Little bit of a pain. The way they have the front pontoons already cast as one piece in the body. Had a hard time cleaning the inside of a very large seam line. There in the pictures where it shows sanding marks are the areas that needed a lot of work. Hopefully will have some of the body in primer. And should be ready to paint in a couple of days, that is if I don't run into any other little flaws. There were more pinholes than usual in this Studio 27 kit than the ones I've done previously. Easy to fix but just time consuming.

IMG_1246.jpg

IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1244.jpg

Sweet, great progress Brendan! :angry:

What kind of putty do you use?

I use Tamiya's basic putty. If you can still get it, it works really well. You can thin it out with alcohol and spread it on with a brush. The putty dries within 12 hours if you put is on thin. I usually sand the next day after putting it on. I also use thin CA to fill in small holes.

Here are a couple modifications that I have made to help the kit out.

I added the small half circles to the front of the undertray. This was done by adding a piece of plastic and puttying the recessed area.

RSSpyderModel004-vi.jpg

I also didn't like the three piece bottom so I glued it all together and filled in the screw holes.

RSSpyderModel006-vi.jpg

Here I have scribed out the louvers on the front right fender. I wanted you to see the difference from the right side before I scribed it too. It does give it depth and didn't take that long.

RSSpyderModel002-vi.jpg

I also went to Mid Ohio on Saturday so there are a few reference pictures from the race at my Fotki site.

RS Spyder at Mid Ohio 08

I did notice the top headlamp is a decal for the sprint races. So if you want to be picky...

Thanks for letting me post here Brendan

Jim,

Very nice. I was looking at doing the same thing on the front lip. This kit seems like it's a combination of the 2006 and the 2007 car. There are a lot of little things that are not correct on the car, mainly aerodynamics. Thank you for the interior shots. I'll be putting those to use. Let me know when you start putting the front dive planes on. They are a bit tricky if you are using the bigger ones. A lot of sanding to make them fit.

I also went to Mid Ohio on Saturday so there are a few reference pictures from the race at my Fotki site.

RS Spyder at Mid Ohio 08

I did notice the top headlamp is a decal for the sprint races. So if you want to be picky...

Thanks for letting me post here Brendan

You are lucky, that is AWSOME :blink: Beautiful pics to and what a race it was and they won! :)

Nice modifications ;)

Got a little more work done. There really is not a whole lot to this kit. Most of the detail is in the photoetch. All the other little pieces are painted the body color.

Here's a picture of all the pieces that attach to the body or belly pan. Pretty much all the same color, either red or yellow. They are in Scalefinishes primer, waiting to be painted.

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

Picture of rims, tires and brake assembly together. Along with the seat belts and seat.

IMG_1251.jpg

All the P/E bits and pieces.

IMG_1252.jpg

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Just shot the yellow this afternoon (literally...just walked in the door). Paint went down extremely well. Will have to do some very very light sanding and then I'll shoot on the clear. I don't think I'll be using the red. It just isn't close enough to the red in the decal. I'll probably use Tamiya's TS-49 (bright red). The decals in this kit are not exact in color to all the reference photos that I have. They have a tendency to try to match it to a hobby paint. Will get pictures out soon.

Shot the clear yesterday and got quite a bit of work done. Everything seems to be fitting fairly well. There are some issues with the P/E. Some pieces are too small and some are too big. But they are easy to fix. I ended up having to pin the wing together because the peg on the wings are too big for the P/E. Should be getting the decals on in the next couple of days.

The skid plates are a mixture of Tamiya's XF-28 (dark copper) and XF-64 (red brown). It seems to work.

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1261.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg

The black areas on the side pods are from reference photos that I had. Some races they were yellow and in some races they were black on the inside.

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg