Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Charger

Shelby 427 1965

So now I've finally finished the godawful '56 Nomad.. I can get to work on something that'll be fun and enjoyable. I'm gonna make this a dragster underneath, with standard appearance and full stock interior.

8571953469_62ec50033b_b.jpg

Started work on the engine, scribed the panel lines and done a first coat of flat black on the grille. Engine got a wash, needs some touching up before it goes in though. Will the racing air filter fit with the stock bonnet? I'm scared in case it won't, I don't want to put the scoop on,

8573049490_dd729bb5a4_b.jpg
8571954763_efda88f8f3_b.jpg

8571954451_060be95720_b.jpg

8573048482_e7d4eecd02_b.jpg
8573048224_791858d9dc_b.jpg

Colour will be as close as I can get to this.

Dodge_Charger_RT_1968.jpg

Thanks for lookin'!

Hi Anne,

"Wash" is a term used when you mix black paint with thinner, making a very very thin black paint which adjusts to all the little crevices in a part, like on a chrome piece, to give it depth. It also kind of weathers the overall look. Another way to put it is when doing panel lines on a car.. You'd make a very thin "wash" and it follows the line around without having to paint each line, because it's so thin. For all my washes, I use this stuff:

8573131844_49012da1a6_b.jpg
Hope this helps!

Nice progress! I've built many of these ('68/'69 and the Daytona), and I can say from experience that the Hemi won't fit under the stock hood. I got it close by grinding away at the bottom of the air cleaner, but still wouldn't fit. Maybe with more cutting to the carbs and air cleaner.

very very cool , may i ask what you mean that the engine got a wash ??

Anne, if you're not able to find the Tamiya wash, Testors has just released 5 new enamel washes. http://www.testors.com/category/562121/Enamel_Stains

Click on the bottles in the link for the part number and description. Your hobby store probably won't stock these, but most will be happy to order them for you. I've already got #2183 (Oil and Grease stain) on order. It should work well for old, tired engines etc.

Hi Anne,

"Wash" is a term used when you mix black paint with thinner, making a very very thin black paint which adjusts to all the little crevices in a part, like on a chrome piece, to give it depth. It also kind of weathers the overall look. Another way to put it is when doing panel lines on a car.. You'd make a very thin "wash" and it follows the line around without having to paint each line, because it's so thin. For all my washes, I use this stuff:

8573131844_49012da1a6_b.jpg
Hope this helps!

I am going to have to get a bottle of that, I need to see if my LHS stocks it, but I dont think so, thanks for posting that

Wow, my absolutely favorite car! :)

Thanks for reviewing the Tamiya Wash, I saw it often in online hobby shops but I never knew what it is. I will order a bottle in the next time ;)

Edited by Clemi