Model Cars Magazine Forum

full size toter n stacker

anyone make the body's for these or do they need to be built from scratch. not the semi,53 ft haulers that nascar uses but like the s&s or 5150 haulers that the dirt latemodel touring teams use. i have two trucks an material to start one but cancer treatments left me with nerve damage in my hands and i can't build anymore.i believe there would be a market for these.i have a 1/24 scale slotcar track an i wanted to build some for the infield. we have 40 or 50 racers an once they saw one it's monkey see monkey do,you know racers. anybody?

I have been planning one in 1/24 myself. I am a big fan of the Showhauler, Renegade, NRC, etc class 8 truck conversions or toterhomes. Anyone looking for more info should visit truckconversion.net

Anyway, in 1/24 or 1/25 scratchbuilding seems to be the only way to go. The cab and chassis components are available commercially through kits and in the resin aftermarket, but the coach body is another story. My plan is to use Melbourne Model Truck Accessories custom studio sleepers for the base of the coach, scratchbuilding windows, bays, slides, etc. and use a galaxie 21ft tag-along trailer, but a big stacker trailer could be built in much the same manner as the coach.

I would think there would be at least a resin market for these, but remember no one makes a modern RV or bus of a US prototype either. I think the physical size in 1/24 holds people back, but what an impressive model in that scale, though! I found some postings of a guy who built an awesome toter and stacker on a Mack chassis in 1/32 somewhere online. Also Truckin Little makes a resin coach body and stacker in 1/64 scale for DCP trucks, but I know that doen't help either.

My model is still in the planning stages, making parts/supplies lists and researching, lots of reseaching of the real thing.

cavespeedway.. a couple of years ago, i had access to a s&s welding built motorcoach an stacker 2 trailer..the late model dirt car owner of it, told me to measure all i wanted to.. i took my measurements an drew it all up,then tooh them to a waterjet guy..built my own stacker 2 thailer...i have one motorcoach body here somewhere that has a flaw from the waterjet process?? if you want it, send me your mailing addy.... oldr-n-drt

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing yet, but I plan to start soon and work this summer on it. For the chassis candidate, I'm thinking of using the Revell Aeromax 120. I started that model years ago but never completed it - I need to switch out the engine. That kit suffers from the same geriatric diesel disease that plagues so many models. I know it costs more, but model manufactures really need to tool modern engines to go with the modern trucks.

I am still planning on building another conversion similiar to the picture I posted above, so I can use the Detroit Series 60 from the Italeri 378 kit (a future purchase) for the Aeromax, which fits that mid 90's era and truck just fine.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...