Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big Tub Rebuild Complete!

jbwelda

so here are some (only slightly, unfortunately) better photos of the big tub i just finished up:

view from the back, note scratchbuilt taillights, rear fender mounts, Jaguar XKE steering wheel, and cut-down headlamp stalks with found headlamp buckets:

rearpassengersidekt0.gif

a shot of the pair of skulls along with windshield frame and window, rear view mirror, top of seats etc. also note the polished aluminum firewall:

skullspd2.gif

profile from passenger front, showing front wheel fender detail and three fenders shown to good advantage:

profilefromrightfrontloon8.gif

interior shot showing cut down and drilled seats, scratchbuild fuel tank, wooden floorboards with fasteners, huge 6 volt tractor battery, lap belts and other dubious details such as the stuffed pillows on the seat buckets:

interiorzi9.gif

finally another profile, this time from driver front side

profilefromleftfrontar6.gif

like i mentioned im not real happy with the quality of my photos but i did rearrange my lighting and took a few more ive not looked at yet. if they turn out better or add anything to whats already here i will put some of them up too!

comments of course welcome especially if youve built one of these monsters and would like to share photos of yours as well!

heres a few more pics that show some different angles and/or more details:

first a detail shot of the back showing the quick change rear end and the taillight details:

nicetailightandrearendsp4.gif

next, a detail shot of the right front running gear, featuring polished aluminum radius rods and tie rod etc:

nicefrontrunninggearmp9.gif

then a further away shot of the passenger side:

nicefrompassrearzf3.gif

and from the front:

nicefromfrontxc4.gif

then a shot of the motor from above, and you can see more clearly the polished aluminum firewall (yep the motor looks a bit crooked compared to the body...another legacy of the "aw its just a quick rebuild" philosophy that came to bite me in the butt!):

motorandfirewallxs6.gif

finally, another shot of the interior showing the helmet and some other details:

interior2uz5.gif

again many thanks for looking and feel free to comment, positive or negative, i can take the heat!!!

this car will be at the NNL West if the good lords willin and the creek dont rise (and if i am not in london that weekend) so drop by and say hello and take a look in person if you get the chance!

OK, Bill, since I said that I would re-look the photos of your big tub and provide some positive criticism, here's what I would do:

1) The exhaust end of the header pipe looks a bit too thick. I would take an X-ACTO or a drill bit and open it up just a little bit;

2) For a model this big, I would probably add some sort of bolt detail to the header flanges.

Other than that, it looks GREAT!! Like I said, you know where the defects are because you built it. From the photos you posted it really looks good and I didn't see any obvious flaws.

Yes, I'll come by to see you at the NNL West, if you make it. I live in Tracy and have several model building friends in the Sacramento, Roseville and Folsom area. We always attend the NNL West. Its a great event. My friend Curt and I often share a table to sell the few models that we know we'll never live long enough to build.

Take care and see you March 1st,

thanks raul, im pretty sure i would recognize you if i saw you and yeah be sure to drop by (and bring some micro bolt heads for me to buy!)

thanks for the comments too, seriously, and let me address them:

>1) The exhaust end of the header pipe looks a bit too thick. I would take an X-ACTO or a drill bit

>and open it up just a little bit;

yeah i agree and the more i looked at it the more i agree! it was a solid pipe to begin with, from the lindberg t bucket, and i drilled it out. but i agree, it/they could use some more honing out, and its certainly more than possible still...so by the weekend that will probably be done. in my defense though, i was happy with making the exhaust headers look like they were made crudely out of backyard steel tubing and hence thick, but i do agree they would look better more to a scale gauge.

>2) For a model this big, I would probably add some sort of bolt detail to the header flanges.

yep again agreed. let me tell you how it ended up as it is, like i said i borrowed the headers from the lindberg t and drilled them out (and filled the hole where the rear cutout went because i just wanted to use headers). then i matched them up to the motor (duh how about you think ahead a little bill?) and found they didnt even sort of line up with the exhaust ports. so...long story short, decided to put them on that dumb flange piece i made from plastic stock. i thought about detailing it a bit more but by that point it was sort of in the "hope no one notices this" category so the less said the better.

that said though, youre absolutely right and i think i will go down to the r/c shop and get some micro hardware and make some studs and nuts. i did incorporate those in numerous other places but dont have any left.

i also originally planned to, and probably still will, add some weathering to the body and running gear, but for right now im kind of tired of it monopolizing my workbench and im glad to take a bit of a break to concentrate on a next project (jairus youre in on this one!).

so thanks for the suggestions and im reasonably certain that by the NNL they will have been implemented.

...in my defense though, i was happy with making the exhaust headers look like they were made crudely out of backyard steel tubing and hence thick, but i do agree they would look better more to a scale gauge.

Bill,

If it were built as a rat then I'd say "leave'm thick like old plumbin' pipes!!". With as cleanly and nice as you built it, I would make them look like they were bought and/or made from properly scaled material.

We probably have met. I've been going to the NNL West for about 20 years. I was recently at the car show/model contest at CalExpo with my friend Jerry Cardinal. Jerry is well known for his brass models.

I also get up to Roseville several times a year to see my friend Victor at Diecast City. Have you been to his store?

Take care and see you soon,

• 6 years later...

since I have completed so little this past year (lots of "almost" completed though!), I was thinking of bringing this along to the NNL this year. problem is, the first and last time I did, it got caught by a gust of wind on the way back to the car and the whole front end crash bang ouched against its travelling platform. has since been rebuilt (and improved some too) and the platform revised so maybe things will be better this time!

thanks for the bump and sorry for interrupting the other thread, just thought I could offer a look at another out of the same idea (rescued from ebay!)

jb

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

oh my, digging its way out of the grave once again!

camera...oh just an old Nikon Coolpix something or other back then. nothing special, just using a tripod and the macro settings.

seats: those are the stock Big T etc seats but only the bucket part and not the upholstery upper part. then they were reshaped pretty radically on the bottom and up into the upright part, and then drilled. the pillow is something I found in a dollhouse sort of crafts store locally, went there looking for some sort of covering or padding. the ladies there were quite intrigued when I was trying to explain what I was looking for.

many thanks again! I love this Tub and did bring it to NNL West this year.

jb