Model Cars Magazine Forum

1913 MERCER TYPE 35 #22

Rick- you must see the Mercer videos I saw on youtube last night- theres a list back at the Locomobile thread.

I like the #11 car.........

The PC in my hobby room has a messed up video card, so I can not watch You Tube, but oh happy day, a new All-In-1 is setting in the LR, I will watch those vidoes tonight. I believe #11 is red w/white trim, very clean and well maintained racer, and besides, my Mothers maiden name was Hughes.............now if ole Uncle Howard would have left me a few bucks, I might have been able to have a Mercer too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick

there a guy -also on youtube- at a texas car museum with a raceabout-sez its worth a million!!!!!!!!!!!! to bad we can't scale up!

the riding mechanic was known as a ''MECHANICIAN'' I got that from Peter Helcks book-'' The Checkerd Flag''

there a guy -also on youtube- at a texas car museum with a raceabout-sez its worth a million!!!!!!!!!!!! to bad we can't scale up!

the riding mechanic was known as a ''MECHANICIAN'' I got that from Peter Helcks book-'' The Checkerd Flag''

You gotta just love this stuff.............Daddy, what do you do, well your ole Pap is a "Mechanician"..........kid :blink: .

I also saw where a Mercer was sold for a cool million.............!

Rick B)

Is it me...............I have seen others here comment about the Fuman kit, and it is a good kit and I am enjoying the build, but!

In the process of building and cleaning up plastic from the kit parts, I have noticed that when I sand the part, it is very glossy and as I sand it @ 1st, the sanding stick loads up with if I did not know better........yellow paint. Now I am talking parts that are removed from the parts trees, this was a still in the box, un-started kit. I know this is a re-pop of another mfg's product, but do they coat the parts?

Not a problem, but I have never noticed this other than when I am doing a tear down from a painted build, that I am re-working!

Rick B)

"Baby got a new pair of shoes"

Frames is sett'in flat and straight...........I have stopped working on many a project after getting to this point to find the frame warped and no amount of twisting short of breaking, to get all four to set flat........! But boy oh boy, this baby is setting flat as a pan cake.

Not too much more left to the basic frame, finish engine and this is ready for some paint. :P

Rick B)

post-13366-0-64748600-1393983855_thumb.j

Edited by Pocherphile

Is it me...............I have seen others here comment about the Fuman kit, and it is a good kit and I am enjoying the build, but!

In the process of building and cleaning up plastic from the kit parts, I have noticed that when I sand the part, it is very glossy and as I sand it @ 1st, the sanding stick loads up with if I did not know better........yellow paint. Now I am talking parts that are removed from the parts trees, this was a still in the box, un-started kit. I know this is a re-pop of another mfg's product, but do they coat the parts?

Not a problem, but I have never noticed this other than when I am doing a tear down from a painted build, that I am re-working!

Rick B)

I had the same thing happen-mine was a started kit. but no other parts were painted-just the yellow and apparently sprayed on the trees.I thought the previous owner did it. every FUMAN I bought also has tires that were defective-slightly off set on the tire tread. the ENTEX tires are the best!

"Baby got a new pair of shoes"

Frames is sett'in flat and straight...........I have stopped working on many a project after getting to this point to find the frame warped and no amount of twisting short of breaking, to get all four to set flat........! But boy oh boy, this baby is setting flat as a pan cake.

Not too much more left to the basic frame, finish engine and this is ready for some paint. :P

Rick B)

dont forget to fill the holes on the side rails like I did. [if its going to be fenderless] the running board mount plates might need to be ground off too.[bracket w/3 rivets] I also forgot to delete those on mine.

chassis looks great though-makes me want to start another.....

Edited by f1ford48

Thanks Frank..........I did not even think of that and was just chugging along w/the build. Went back and studied the photos, and sure enough, no holes. Seems these were purpose built frames for racing! I did notice that on the right side of the chassis I will need to leave the center holes where the middle fender rails mount, #22 seems to be carring a rather large box on this platform attached right where the brackets are. I find this odd since there seems to be a location in the rear of the vehicle for storage/tools? But never the less, the box is there.

I have sat here and looked @ the yellow parts trees, and by golly, either some type clear or color has been sparayed on these trees.

As I said eailer.........when you sand the face of these parts, it as if paint is being sanded off. Is very glossy?

I agree, I am not crazy about the rubber tires that come in the kit, do you have a suggestion for replacements?

By all means start another.......yours was what made me go with this build to begin with.

I would like to build another of the Mercer's as well............a Hudson Miniatures version! That one would be the stock version.

Again, thanks for the help Frank. ;)

Rick B)

Spent today correcting those little areas I had missed as my friend Frank was so kind as to give me a heads up on. Weather here in the Ole South is rain, freezing rain, chance of light snow.........no painting for me, but this weekend........70 degrees.......can and will paint then and post some photos.

Rick ^_^

Have hit a little hic-up, seems that when I went to check/mock up the body parts, the rear cover is warped in 2 directions. I know how to get a warp out, but in 2 directions.......... :o

Gonna have to give this some brain waves to come up w/a solution. I had a problem like this with the body of a Pocher Spyder that had sat on it's side too long.........in the end, I made the problem worse! :blink:

Bummer..............

I actually bought 2 built ENTEX MERCERS on ebay a few years ago. got tires from those. some of the Fumans are better than others. hope yours are not too bad.

if you are talking about the body/trunk behind the gas tank being warped I may have another one of those. I seem to remember the same situation on my car.

I actually bought 2 built ENTEX MERCERS on ebay a few years ago. got tires from those. some of the Fumans are better than others. hope yours are not too bad.

if you are talking about the body/trunk behind the gas tank being warped I may have another one of those. I seem to remember the same situation on my car.

That be the one, twisted w/a turn up-ward @ front..........one could get the twist out, but the part that turns up, I believe she will break if forced????????? :unsure:

I wished I did have the Entex kit, Fuman is Ok, but years ago I built the Entex version and I can say, the quality was very much better. This plastic as used by Fuman has some strange properties too.........very brittle, has some type coating on it and does not like model putty! But I will not throw in the towel just yet........... <_<

I still have one trick up my sleave...............

Rick

And, while I wait for my genius to kick into play.............I spent the day messing w/sum thing else................ :rolleyes:

Hint, comes in a small card board box, is from days gone by, not for the faint of heart and got a set of white vinyl tires f/it today. ^_^

Rick

Hint: 1900

Frank.........check this little critter out............. ^_^

Just like building a ship.........have plenty of tools for that type construction, to insure it is straight and square.

Rick B)

PS: I want to see if I can do one the old fashion way, with the material as provided!

I will admit, I will change out the tires/wheels.......the ones in the kit were just to warped to be of any use, so I sourced a set that I think will work perfect with this classy lady.

Whats up today w/me and warped parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-13366-0-10944300-1394334686_thumb.j

post-13366-0-67280700-1394334696_thumb.j

post-13366-0-57707500-1394334704_thumb.j

Edited by Pocherphile

I figured it was the Packard. with your airplane skills this should be great.these early cars had wood bodies-many without a sheet metal shell.a real ''Horseless Carriage''

there was another company that made kits similar to the Hudsons called FADOR. and this is how I found out about the Hudsons-I bought the Fador kit at a show and went on line to investigate it. the kit has diecast wheels and hardware instead of plastic. however they dont appear as accurate as the Hudson kits. mine is an EMF- I believe the auto was related to the Studebaker.

I figured it was the Packard. with your airplane skills this should be great.these early cars had wood bodies-many without a sheet metal shell.a real ''Horseless Carriage''

there was another company that made kits similar to the Hudsons called FADOR. and this is how I found out about the Hudsons-I bought the Fador kit at a show and went on line to investigate it. the kit has diecast wheels and hardware instead of plastic. however they dont appear as accurate as the Hudson kits. mine is an EMF- I believe the auto was related to the Studebaker.

Give that man a cigar........you are correct. Your FADOR, is this the 3 in one version. :D

Rick