Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 Chevelles

loudcherokee

These are all very nice Chevelle kits. The 70 Chevelle is my second favorite muscle car, second only to the 69 Charger. I love what all of you have done with yours.

Has anyone here that has built this kit used the detail set from MCG? I'm wondering if anyone had any luck with it. The set indicates on the website that it's for use with Revells 1/24th kit, but the supplied Grille just did not want to fit. Also, the thing I mentioned earlier about the scripts on the side, I'm not quite sure what to do about that. There is a little plated area inbetween the 454 and the SS. That wont look to good on a finished kit. I'm thinking about just BMF'ing the scripts before paint.

Any suggestions from those of you who have had such good results with getting your side scripts to stand out? Tonio? Tommy?

LC

These are all very nice Chevelle kits. The 70 Chevelle is my second favorite muscle car, second only to the 69 Charger. I love what all of you have done with yours.

Has anyone here that has built this kit used the detail set from MCG? I'm wondering if anyone had any luck with it. The set indicates on the website that it's for use with Revells 1/24th kit, but the supplied Grille just did not want to fit. Also, the thing I mentioned earlier about the scripts on the side, I'm not quite sure what to do about that. There is a little plated area inbetween the 454 and the SS. That wont look to good on a finished kit. I'm thinking about just BMF'ing the scripts before paint.

Any suggestions from those of you who have had such good results with getting your side scripts to stand out? Tonio? Tommy?

LC

If I remember correctly, the "SS" on the orange Chevelle is a white decal; on the red one I just used a very fine brush and some testors silver chrome paint.

LC

LC,

I used the MCG set on my 70. Even though the AMT kit is 1/25, it worked fine, even the grille. I simply trimmed the excess from behind the front fascia. The trick I used for the P/E emblems was to flow thinned paint into the recesses, and then scrape the top edge of the emblem with an X-acto blade when dry. It worked great. I did the same thing to get the "GM" to show up on the seat belt buttons and the steering wheel emblems. (both 69 & 70). However in my photos i just noticed that I missed the "Chevelle" emblem on the front of the 69. It should have a black surround. NUTS!!!

Not quite finished, been sitting like this for years..... Sorry...but I felt compelled to show them anyway. Just needs some final assembly. Based on the old Monogram kit, that's how long ago I started.... :D;)

IMG_0299.jpg

I think the black one was painted with Pactra paint, I used it a lot. It's what was avaliable.

IMG_0297.jpg

This one was painted with real GM color: Shadow Gray, since I had used it to touch up some areas on my real '70 SS454 El Camino. Had some paint leftover.

These models were built from a memory of two Chevelles I saw at a coffee shop in 1973, and later at the racetrack. These guys left the diner in a big rush. They raced to the track..... we came upon them several miles down the road, they had been pulled over by a motorcycle cop!! I think they were LS6 cars.

Edited by Modellpularn

Here is mine. Done up as a Mailibu. I cut the top off the Monogram kit to make this one, and turned the street machine hood into a standard flat hood....though I never figured out how to get the SS off of the grill and not ruin it LOL. SO I left it on.

I built this for a friend to replicate his 1:1.

70chevelleRR2.jpg

70chevelleLF3.jpg

enginegood.jpg

Really nice conversion Jeff. Very well done. I love a Chevelle convertible. I painted this Revell kit with House of Kolors Orange Pearl, Black Pearl flames and Lime Time Pearl edges. it's now completed, I just haven't taken photos yet of the completed kit.

12302004f-vi.jpg

12302004g-vi.jpg

12302004e-vi.jpg

here's a couple of mine. the "Mad Max" inspired Chevelle was built from the yellow version like posted above. i built that car over 20 years ago and won first place in Junior street machines with it at a World of Wheels car show. it's still hanging in there pretty good. the Grey primered Chevelle was built to replicate my first car.

Chevellespics012.jpg

Dave

What's goin' on...

Dave

This one here is AWESOME!!! In high school I had two 1970 Chevelles. Remove the hood scoop and this looks "IDENTICAL" down to the turn-outs in front of the rear tires. I even had the dice hanging from the mirror different speed parts decals in the windows though each sticker added 15HP :P I traded a 1949 Chevy truck to a guy that did the metal/paint work on it in 1990. The paint and supplies was an early graduation gift.

Needless to say I sold it a little over a year ago to my old boss who'd been asking me to sell it for over 12 years.

WELL DONE!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just discovered this site, looks like a nice place! I saw this thread and thought why not register and show that '70 Chevelle I built last year, or maybe 2 years ago... can't remember... It's the AMT kit.

9c541f808a.jpg

074dd41d9e.jpg

83d81ea40e.jpg

Hi, I just discovered this site, looks like a nice place! I saw this thread and thought why not register and show that '70 Chevelle I built last year, or maybe 2 years ago... can't remember... It's the AMT kit.

Very nice '70 SS, Bruno!

Edited by Moon Pie

• 5 weeks later...