Model Cars Magazine Forum

48 Ford Woody

Psychographic

I put her in final prime tonight. I don't see any spots I missed (that means at least 2 small spots will show up once the color goes on :wacko: ). I'll let it dry overnight, hit it with some 600 and put the acrylic base on.

I ordered a set of the Uschi Woody Decals, they should be here soon. Along with the BMF, this will be my first attempt at anything woodgrain, lets hope I don't screw up either of them!

I started painting tonight. I've got the base acrylic down on the inside of the wheelweels and under hood area, along with the underside of the hood. I use a hairdryer to set and dry the acrylic, once it sets a couple of hours, I'll paint the top. Tomorrow I'll throw the nail polish on it and probably clear it tomorrow night.

PB160878.jpg

I almost forgot to make a hood hinge!

PB170885.jpg

PB170884.jpg

Almost done, I drilled some holes in the hinge to dress it up a bit and added a stop to the radiator support. I've also started to remove the stock hinge locators from the underside of the hood.

PB170886.jpg

I haven't broken the body in four days!!!!!!

Edited by Psychographic

I had a little mishap and a bit of learning with the acrylic base. I know some people don't like them but these craft store acrylics work pretty well, once you start to get the hang of them.

After a little wet sanding and touching up a couple of spots, I redid the nail polish and although it won't be my best paintjob, it should look pretty good.The pearl really brings it to life.

I'll probably clear it later tonight.

PB170887.jpg

PB170888.jpg

She's cleared!

The theme for the color choices on this was the ocean, aqua (body and interior) for the shallow reefs, deep blue ( chassis ) for the deep water and the tan/beige (body and interior) for the foam that builds up on the water (BTW, you don't want to know what that foam actually is). I had a major debate going on in my head to do a slight fade along the bottom of the body with the chassis color. I finally decided the body looked good as is, if I added the fade it might have been too much as the wood and roof would be bringing more colors in to clutter up the body.

PB180891.jpg

PB180893.jpg

On another note, I think my woodgrain decals are heading to the wrong address. :(

Still no decals. I think they shipped to the billing address, if so I should have them tomorrow night. Until then I looked at the progress pics from the Uschi site, combined that with some advice given by other members and got started with the background paint.

This pics shows the two steps to the airbrush work for the base of the decals. The base is a wood brown, the first step is a light fade using a darker brown, followed by a tighter fade of the same color with some flat black and a lot more thinner to make it spray much more transparent.

PB210901.jpg

The doors on the body.

PB210902.jpg

PB210903.jpg

I need to do some work on the inside of the doors before I can paint the frames, which will be done in a lighter wood.

I've got the back side windows cut to fit and the base coat is on the headliner, although I'm not sure how to handle the interior wood.

Edited by Psychographic