Model Cars Magazine Forum

Flamed Willys (paint fix-up)

JayVee

JayVee, I can't believe how far you've come so quickly. Amazing work, especially these flames for your first time.

Does Mike L.'s video really make it that easy?

Are you artistically inclined? I have a hard time with stick figures. I would love to paint like that. Any tips you could give out?

Chris

Thanks guys! I made some templates out of thin sheet styrene. I just cut wavy patterns along the edges with some curved scissors. Mike's video is definitely a great place to start for doing true fire. I had a lot of "practice runs" (pun intended) on some glossy photo paper that I painted black. Each attempt improved a bit, and the first few were ridiculously bad, mostly because I'm relatively new to the airbrush. These colors aren't really the right ones for true fire but I liked the effect anyway. I'm going to try it on a red base next.

Turned out my new airbrush developed a huge air leak, so the original paint job was too grainy with overspray due to the low psi. [:lol:] I covered the original flames in clear red and added new layers with the repaired airbrush. Luckily I didn't have to redo the whole thing [:D]

FireStang17.jpg

FireStang18.jpg

FireStang19.jpg

FireStang20.jpg

Thanks Lyle, I'm having way too much fun with this stuff! Once I redid the mustang flames the original flames on this Willys looked way too dark in comparison. I shot clear red over them and added orange and yellow licks on top to give it a more glowing effect. Thanks for checking out the progress:

FireWillys6.jpg

FireWillys7.jpg

FireWillys8.jpg