Model Cars Magazine Forum

Central Florida clubs or shows??

• 2 weeks later...

Funny thing about Florida.............lots of retirees with nothing better to do, but an almost complete lack of clubs/organizations to support the hobby. When I lived there, there was a club in St.Cloud and also the Mighty Mopars of Orlando had a model club. Colonial Photo and Hobby used to have a show or two during the year, and the Osceola Square Mall had a hobby shop that had a show every year. That all failed in the Mid-90s for no known reason.

There is a member and a good friend of mine here in the forum, he goes by the handle of 3men2s, private message him, he can tell you where and when there are any shows or contests around your area!! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Funny thing about Florida.............lots of retirees with nothing better to do, but an almost complete lack of clubs/organizations to support the hobby.

This is a bummer. I always like the toy and model shows and was hoping for a local club.

If you check the "contests and shows" section you will see the post for the upcoming show in Melbourne next week. There are usually more than one show in Melbourne each year. There have been shows in Jacksonville. Every April, the Orlando IPMS has had a show at the fairgrounds. I don't know anything about the west coast.

There is an upcoming show in late September in Orlando. It's called Modelpalooza and used to be at the fairgrounds but is now at a hotel on International drive on the West side of Orlando, just off Sand Lake road near Universal Studios theme park.

In October, every year, the NSRA has their Southeast Nationals street rod event at the fairgrounds over in Tampa. The club based out of Tampa puts on a show there every year. It's a nice place to go to a show because you get to enjoy all of the 1:1 cars as well.

Check the IPMS calendar at www.ipmsusa.org periodically to see where any of the IPMS shows will be each year. There is a yearly one in Jacksonville around Valentine's day but most of the other clubs in Florida schedule theirs every other year.

Otherwise the shows are scarce here in Florida.

Edited by 1320wayne

• 1 month later...

I live in the middle of Orlando and have nothing here as far as clubs and it sucks,there is noone to go to if i need help with one of my cars or just someone to get with to talk to about the cars,I know dirk joseph lives in the area,but i don't know him and it's kinda hard to meet people without a club.

Edited by sclautobldr

I know what you mean Mike. There is an IPMS meeting, but it is worthless for car guys. People are here in the area, it's just getting someone to put forth the effort to organize a club. Between this forum and the scale auto forum, there has to be 6 or more modelers within a reasonable distance . One lives in Sanford, less than five miles from me. There are others in Orlando, Oveido, Port Orange and Daytona. By the way, you have a very popular name. A Bell South people search came up with 15 persons with your first and last name who are in the greater Orlando area

I know what you mean no shows here in florida the street rods is coming as was said I believe the 9-11 of oct. at the fl state fairgrounds. I can get you some more info on that if you like I know David knight fairly well. and was a part of that club until I was 18 still talk to him and "carmoddave" I usually tavel to the bermingham show the atlanta nnl sometime chatnooga nnl as well

Event Date: 09-October 10 Florida State Fairgrounds

in conjunction with the NSRA Southeast Nationals plus, including 1600 cars outside, swap meet, music, car vendors, Make it Take it 1pm.

TWO-DAY EVENT

This a show put on annually by MAGS, the local car club. I'm going to be there. We can both get more info there about the club.

Edited by Jantrix

Leesburg/Clermont is about a 40-45 mile one way trip for me. Possibly doable. What day of the week and time you thinking about? Since I don't work, weekday during the daytime would be best. I'm never available on the 2nd Saturday or the 4th Sunday. I usually cook Wednesday 4-6pm at the local VFW.

The above sounds negative, doesn't it? Sorry. Don't mean it that way. Just trying to be up front with days/times that I'm locked into.

Where do other people live?