Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is your favorite reading material

tubbs

hey guys, in this day and age of having information right at your fingertips, and since we ARE on a magazine based forum, I was wondering if there are any of you out there that if you take a magazine into the bathroom with you instead of your phone, what would it be? what is your favorite "go to" reading material?

obviously we will all say Model Car Magazine, of course!! so we are going to leave that one and any other model mag out of this.

I am a magazine hoarder. I have the first magazine I ever bought and it snowballed from there to close to, if not over 10,000 magazines. in gathering up collections, I have seen magazines I have never heard of. they are cool, but my main ones are Super Stock and Drag Illustrated (SSDI for short), Hemmings muscle machines, and Mopar Collectors guide.

so lets hear from you, just how many magazine guys are out there, let's see if someone can come up with something I or someone else has never heard of before.

Car magazines. Including, but not limited to Hot Rod, The Rodder's Journal, Car Craft, and Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords.

Model magazines. Mostly military types. Scale Auto maybe once a year. It went downhill after Kalmbach bought it. I can't get MCM in Austin. I should subscribe again.

Hobby machinist magazines: Home Shop Machinist,...and its sister magazine (I can't remember the title right now), and Model Engineer's Workshop.

I don't have electronic subscriptions to anything. I like to read it the old-fashioned way.

I used to subscribe to Street Rodder and Custom Rodder magazines a long time ago but they're more like a monthly catalog with all the Ads, and when they dropped their model car sections to make room for more Ads, I dropped them. I will occasionally pick up Ol' School Rods and its sister mag, and Collectible Auto whenever I can get to B & N but the prices of those mags when you wind up buying 5 or 6 in one shot can really bust the budget.

Anything sportsman drag racing, street rod, trucking, or sign/graphics related. My wife says I spend way too much time with a magazine in my hand!

haha!! my wife calls them a fire hazard!! on the other hand, she says at least I read them, not like the stack of models that go unbuilt.

Octane or Classic Cars magazines. Octane is probably the best all-rounder, while Classic Cars has just had a re-vamp which (to my mind) is too focused on classic cars as investments, rather than "money pits which are fun to drive...". As a modeller, both have plenty to offer in terms of detail shots as well as inspiring "real-world" stories which encourage my builds. Evo and Top Gear mags feed my modern supercars habit. And I've been very lucky in my second-hand bookshop finds with a whole range of classic "bedside companion" books from the 60s which compile the best European automotive journalism from the 50s and 60s.

As a writer myself, "By Brooks too Broad for Leaping" by Denise McLuggage, "And the Revs Keep Rising" by Mel Nichols, "Fast Lines", by Pete Lyons, and "The Road to Muckle Flugga" by Phil Llewellin are the BEST collections of automotive journalism I've come across. I owe these to B.S Levy for the introduction to those names, and I just wish he'd get on with the second volume of the 200 MPH Steamroller!

bestest,

M.