Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tip - A Tool to Dispense Thin Glue Precisely

The job goes easier when you've got the right tool. Some of you might not need something like this but when your hands aren't as steady as they used to be, it makes some accurately applying glue much easier.

I read a suggestion here that using insulin syringes was a good way to apply small amounts of glue. I tried that and while it does work well, sometimes the plunger would stick a little and then I'd wind up with more glue than I needed. I gave it a little thought and here's what I came up with.

I took a couple of old dzus fasteners and flattened them out. You don't have to use them but I had some already. You can pick them up at a race shop. Guys that race go through them, especially if they race dirt. A small washer was epoxied to one fastener to hold the syringe since the opening in a dzus fastener is too large. A nut was epoxied to the other fastener which serves to hold a fine thread bolt. A couple of small screws and some plastic tubing made the parts that hold it all together.

Disassembled.

post-9974-0-90730800-1375145565_thumb.jp

The syringe in placed in the holder.

post-9974-0-26472700-1375145587_thumb.jp

The syringe is ready to be filled.

post-9974-0-23848800-1375145623_thumb.jp

The syringe is loaded and ready. Just hold the device with one hand and screw the bolt in with the other.

post-9974-0-57195300-1375145638_thumb.jp

Took a little time to decide how to make it and put it together but I've already used to once and it works great. Naturally you can't used glue that's too thick in it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Do you use new, "never been used before" syringes or ones that have been used before?

You said that you use them for CA kicker, but have you ever used them for CA glue?

What type of glue do you use?

No I don't use them for CA glue. Just does not work well, because the glue seems to set up too fast. I now use toothpicks or the looper. I use new syringes for kicker, because I currently use a pen for my injections. I have about 300 new syringes sitting in a closet, just waiting to be used. As I mentioned before, they work wonders with Sidekick accelerator. I don't know if it is legal for me to mail syringes, but if I can you sure would be welcome to some.

Edited by snacktruck67

Doesn't the CA clog up the tip?

Yes, but not immediately. I just get another one out and use it.

I don't use them all the time. Just when I'm trying to, as the thread title says, "dispense thin glue precisely". :D

Edited by Miatatom

I always took the plunger out after I had drawn the Tenax into the syringe. It makes it work like a Touch N Flow. I haven't used Tenax or a syringe for a long time now. Tamiya's Extra Thin Cement took the place of both. It's a lot better than Tenax IMO and won't evaporate like Tenax does.

Tamiya that good? Does it have a slow drying time as compared to thicker CA glues?