Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kit Questions

I am looking for some parts for a 1/16 scale project I am working on. Can someone tell me what engines, inductions, etc came with the AMT 1/16 scale tri 5 Chevy's ? Do any of the Chevy kits come with plain steel wheels? I am also curious about the wheels and suspension pieces in the Minicraft 1/16 scale hot rod kits. Do these kits have any useful parts in them?

Thanks

I am looking for some parts for a 1/16 scale project I am working on. Can someone tell me what engines, inductions, etc came with the AMT 1/16 scale tri 5 Chevy's ? Do any of the Chevy kits come with plain steel wheels? I am also curious about the wheels and suspension pieces in the Minicraft 1/16 scale hot rod kits. Do these kits have any useful parts in them?

Thanks

I have a 55 nomad kit and it has steel wheels in it. It also has a SBC that can be built stock or with a turbo. the 1/16 scale mustang and t-bird have steel rims in them to

keith

AMT only made the '55 & '57 Chevies in conv. coupe & nomad versions in 1/16 scale.

These kits where marketed in mid 70's & level of accuracy & details are OK:

All kits came with the "283" V8 small bolck equipped with single carb, optional chrome valve covers & air cleaner unit are also included for street machine version, the engine looks pretty good, but don't use the provided "oversized" tubing for the spaks plug wires!!!!! + the block has a Hole!.... too crossover the front metal axle for front wheels!!!!

Steel wheels are provided in all 1/16 kits, don't expect super details here: basic engraving with a pretty large outer lip + appropriate chrome plated hubcaps (the 55's are nice!) & 50's Firestone tires.

A set of (Cragar) mags (also not bad!) & appropriate goodyears are also in 55 &57 kits for street machine version.

Minicraft retooled the stock 31 Ford convertible & Pickup kits to restorod versions in late 90's: a very nice & brand new post war ford V8 Flat head with all the vintage era speedparts was included (really nice)...but no wiring stock! + a new lower front axle & rear axle.

New parts also included steel wheels (again basic engraving a bit smaller then amt's) with 4 same size "anonymus" whitewall hard vinyl tires, also included are nice set of "raiders" looking chrome plated mags with center knock offs (really nice) + 2 rear drag slicks (60's looking) & 2 front skinnies in soft vinyl, flames decal sheet complet the kits .Minicraft did a pretty good job, not bad at all. Note that all parts for stock versions are also included in the Hot Rod boxes.

If you're looking for a nice 1/16th scale SBC, you'll find one in the Revell '34 Ford 3-window coupe or Phaeton kits. Much better detail than the AMT kits, by far.

Thanks guys....Yes the Revell kits do have great SBC, but I don't like the intake setups. Besides everybody uses a SBC. I am working on the Revell 34 Ford coupe. I want to build a fifties style rod so I am kinda looking flatheads. The steel wheels and Raiders sound good as well. I originally started this build a few years ago as a gasser style fenderless rod , after a serious paint mishap, the build got shelved. I wanna finish it and am thinking about going for the fifties look. This is how the car looked in primer just before the paint mishap. It took a lot of work to get it this far, so I need to finish it.

primer1.jpg

primer2.jpg