Model Cars Magazine Forum

87- 89 Mustang Convertible.

Abell82

With all the recent posts about Fox Mustangs, I felt inclined to pull this one out, and give it some time on the bench. .... While the Box claims it's a '92 Mustang GT , it does not contain the right steering wheel, or wheels for that year. This makes it an 87-89. It is kind of a shame that this kit does not include the correct "pony" wheels, as the "turbines" that it DOES come with are just plain HORRIBLE!! Talk about a mold needing work!! Anyway,... As you can see it has been customized, a little. Color is "Wild Strawberry Metallic"

Hope to have it done very soon!! B)

100_1259.jpg

100_1260.jpg

100_1262.jpg

Edited by Abell82

Just a side note to let you know the turbine wheels were used up until 94 when the body changed. The 93 anniversary cars even had the turbines. Steering wheels changed with car options such as cruise lx,gt,cobra, 4cyl, 6cyl. There are lots of determining factors for differnt changes in the car.

Just a side note to let you know the turbine wheels were used up until 94 when the body changed. The 93 anniversary cars even had the turbines. Steering wheels changed with car options such as cruise lx,gt,cobra, 4cyl, 6cyl. There are lots of determining factors for differnt changes in the car.

93 Anniversary cars?

1993 was not an Anniversary year. There were no anniversary cars produced in 1993.

While the turbines may have been used thru 93 they were NOT standard on the GT's, after 1991.

There were only 2 steering wheels factory from 1987-1993 and those were either w/ or w/o air bags. Air bags became standard in 1990.

1990 was the final year for the ABSOLUTELY DREADFUL 15x7 turbine wheels. Thank god. Yes, they were used on the 1990 Green exterior/white top/interior "7 up cars", but then they went away for good.

http://www.mustanggt.org/gtchange.htm

1991-1993 Cars had 16"pony's, 1992 "special edition" LX convertibles had Red exterior/white top/interiors and white pony wheels.

1993 "limited edition" LX convertibles were yellow exterior, black interior/black top with chrome pony's. Other than reguar coupes (one of which I have), these were my favorite.

Rudy

Oh, and I like the model too! I agree about the titanium ground effects. A friend had a 1:1 Gt (hardtop) with these colors. Looks good.

EDIT: Did the kit come with that fox version of the 1995 Cobra R hood?

Edited by Rudy

Either way, just be sure to put that Titanium lower paint on the girl! Nobody liked it, but you HAD to get it with any metallic color on a GT. Thanks, Ford. You could do a '90 if you used the Turbines and threw in an airbag wheel from the '93 Cobra. Remember that Wild Strawberry was a new color for '90 (first year airbags and smaller headrests/last year Turbines).

This car is NOT going to be factory stock.

This one is just a custom for fun.

I guess it'll have to be considered a repaint.

I'll save the factory stock stuff for when I build this one :

100_0026.jpg

EDIT: Did the kit come with that fox version of the 1995 Cobra R hood?

No it was custom made.

1990 was the final year for the ABSOLUTELY DREADFUL 15x7 turbine wheels. Thank god. Yes, they were used on the 1990 Green exterior/white top/interior "7 up cars", but then they went away for good.

Absolutely dreadful??? No, that would be the base model "fakey" 14" turbines with the rubber spokes...or the telephone dials. The turbines actually look pretty decent with 60 series or lower tires on 'em.

The model looks pretty cool though...for a pretentious Fairmont :) (now don't anyone get all offended! I daily drive an 89 'vert, and I even refer to my King Cobra as a "Pinto" on occasion. Besides, its not as bad as a pre-70 fastback Falcon or anything... :) )

EL or EK was the paint code for the 'Wild Strawberry Metallic' paint color (it also went by Electric Current Red Metallic, depending on year, and was a 1992-93 color).

Turbines were (and still are) one of the most god-aweful looking wheel deigns to grace a V8 Mustang (as the 14" fake turbines were not on any V8 car stock). 10 holes, and even the 1979-early84 TRX wheels look better than those wheels. 1990 saw the advent of the 'Pony' wheel; best looking stock wheel Ford even saw fit to grace the Fox with (except the 93 Cobra Turbines and the 93 Cobra R 'Pull-Ahead' split tri-bars...later to be the Premium wheel for the 94-95 GTs)

Jason, the build is looking great so far; and thanks for keeping Fox love alive! There are some Fox lovers in hiding here and at 'The Other Site'; I just have to get some more builds done before I can plunge back into my Foxes (I might even get the Turbo Capri back out and finish it!!).

Jason, the build is looking great so far; and thanks for keeping Fox love alive! There are some Fox lovers in hiding here and at 'The Other Site'; I just have to get some more builds done before I can plunge back into my Foxes (I might even get the Turbo Capri back out and finish it!!).

You better finish that Capri ! Mine's been stalled long enough for both of us.

I have to say that I actually think the turbines look very nice when painted body color.

They were however a real PITA to keep clean, if you did not have a set of decent quality brake pads. They were Very hard to clean the brake dust out of.

I have to say that I actually think the turbines look very nice when painted body color.

They were however a real PITA to keep clean, if you did not have a set of decent quality brake pads. They were Very hard to clean the brake dust out of.

You got that right, for sure. Once I get around to buying a "new" set of tires, I'm planning on swapping the telephone dials off the 'vert and tossing on one of my sets of turbines (its a 4-banger that came with those 14" fakey's...). I like the idea for painting them body colour, too, but how do I match 19 year old red fading to white? :lol:

See.....now you're making me contemplate putting away the 67GTX-to-base BelvedereII conversion I have going now (swapped the Hemi for a 383 as well) and digging out the Capri! Still need to finish the turbo, intercooler, and all piping; not to mention the chassis upgrades and the interior scratchbuilding.....dang it Jason.

Turbines body color huh? I've seen them shot Black and the fins polished off, and that looked slightly better than stock.......still ugly, but better than original. As for matching the faded color, hmmmmmm..............................................lots of baby powder tossed into the freshly shot paint!!

How's this look?

100_1268.jpg

100_1266.jpg

I painted the stock kit wheels, so that if they turned out bad, I wouldn't loose the other wheels.

I also tried to get some color on the interior...

Unfortunately the interior is going to have to be stripped and re-painted, as the paints seem to have not cared for each other.

Jason,

With respect to your building skill, those turbines look horrible. I have a set that have the spoke area open like the 1:1 cars if you want to try that paint treatment again. With the spokes filled in and painted as they are, it makes them look like circus wheels. Let me know and I can get them sent your way (as I have a set of Sterns I will be using for my build).

Edited by whale392

Jason,

With respect to your building skill, those turbines look horrible. I have a set that have the spoke area open like the 1:1 cars if you want to try that paint treatment again. With the spokes filled in and painted as they are, it makes them look like circus wheels. Let me know and I can get them sent your way (as I have a set of Sterns I will be using for my build).

I agree completely. Those ones weren't the best casting to start with...

i think it looks like a kid with a Mustang that didn't have the money for a set of "nice" wheels. it's not a bad thing, but depending on the look you are going after or the theme of your build they may be out of place? you could strip the chrome from a set of Pony's and paint them with Tamiya pearl white for the SE wheels, that may go good with the interior.

Dave

What are SE wheels? The interior is not going to be white. It will be red and black, hopefully.

Jason,

Thanks, but no. I wanted to try it, and it did not work, kind of like the interior. Oh well.

Moving on...

Jason,

The SE wheels were the Ponys painted white. I thought I would ask about the wheels, just in case you wanted to keep the turbines on the car. Like I said, no disrespect to your building skills (as you build better than I do), but those wheels looked poor on that car. Keep building her up buddy........maybe I'll get one done soon to share with you.

Brad

Edited by whale392

Jason,

The SE wheels were the Ponys painted white. I thought I would ask about the wheels, just in case you wanted to keep the turbines on the car. Like I said, no disrespect to your building skills (as you build better than I do), but those wheels looked poor on that car. Keep building her up buddy........maybe I'll get one done soon to share with you.

Brad

I appreciate the offer. As for my building skills, eh they are so so.

They would be 10 x better if I finished half of what I started. ;)