Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Fred Lorenzen '65 Ford Galaxie 500XL

mmdm4

• 4 months later...

This thing is a mess. The glass doesnt fit at all, there is sometthing wrong with the way the interior tub fits over the back glass, so you thave to cut the tops of the rear wheel tubs off to get the chassis to fit. I remember this kit from back in the day not being so difficult, hmmm... any thoughts?

can't comment on this particular kit. BUT I've noticed a lot of Round 2 reissue's aren't exactly like I remember them. don't get me wrong I'm glad there reissueing some older kits.but there are problems with some of them..mabe it has to do with the age of some of the dies..

Just to save time, I'll post the "standard replies."

1. You don't like it? Don't buy it.

2. We're modelers, we can fix it.

3. There is no such thing as a perfect model.

4. The kit may be junk, but I'm just glad we have a kit of (fill in the blank) at all!

5. If we complain about the kit, the manufacturer will go out of business.

There, I saved you all a bunch of time! ;)

Oops, almost forgot to mention the beatings and the dead horses...

Can this thread puh-leeeeze be locked now? :lol:

Just to save time, I'll post the "standard replies."

1. You don't like it? Don't buy it.

2. We're modelers, we can fix it.

3. There is no such thing as a perfect model.

4. The kit may be junk, but I'm just glad we have a kit of (fill in the blank) at all!

5. If we complain about the kit, the manufacturer will go out of business.

There, I saved you all a bunch of time! ;)

Oops, almost forgot to mention the beatings and the dead horses...

Can this thread puh-leeeeze be locked now? :lol:

See, Harry, that's why this forum needs "LIKE" buttons. :)

Come on guys, don't you like it when you make something unique out of a piece of BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH model to hear people say "how did you do that"? That's where I think the fun really is!!!

Come on guys, don't you like it when you make something unique out of a piece of crap model to hear people say "how did you do that"? That's where I think the fun really is!!!

The ability to overcome a kit's flaws and mistakes varies depending on how talented the builder is.

The fact that a kit comes from the manufacturer loaded with mistakes and/or problems in the first place is a completely different argument.

Sure, Marcos, I've actually gotten a great deal of personal satisfaction out of doing just what you describe.

For those who'd say that you're less of a modeler for pointing out kit problems, though, or assuming you're just automatically incapable of fixing stuff if you do - well, that's the endlessly-reshoveled pile of horse dung where I draw the line. B)

I built the Rides Magazine reissue when it came out (which was all kinds of awful, though it had more to do with the additions made for that particular release and not so much the main kit itself) and didn't encounter any of those issues- I even managed to get the hinged trunk lid to open and close smoothly and with a rather consistent gap around it.

Seems like Round 2 has been altering or repairing some of their tooling, which is needed in quite a few cases, but it seems like too often they aren't checking to see how stuff actually fits before the kit hits the shelf. The '60 Ranchero reissue comes to mind- the awful hood gap (the previous '61 reissue from 2007 or therabouts had a much better fitting hood) ,the too-short wheel mounting bosses, and two driver's side decal graphics instead of one for each side (which has happened a couple of times) seem to indicate they might be in a bit too big of a rush to bring some of these kits back out.

Yes, yes... I've been accused of being a "Serious Adult Scale Model Hobbyist" and am capable of working around these issues, that being said, I really wish that kit manufacturers would take a step back and invest just a little bit more on quality control. And in no way is Round 2 the only guilty party in that regard- that applies to pretty much every kit manufacturer.

Edited by Chuck Most

For a nearly 50 yr old kit, I think it has held up pretty well...though I wish AMT had restored the original two-piece taillights.

I have an unbuilt original issue of this kit available, which should address all of your issues ;-) (except for the guys who want to complaint about how the original design of the kit was BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH, out-of-scale, etc etc)

I think it's a more recent release than the the 65 Galaxie, but the 36 Ford I have is very well done. No flash, fit has been very good on what parts I've test fit with the exception of the stock height 3 window roof. IMO, it's the best of the Round2 vintage restorations I've gotten so far.

I've said it before and I'll say it once again - as long as we don't complain and keep buying the "stuff" ( being polite here ) thatthey keep shoving at us without addressing any of the mistakes and shortfalls - then the manufacturers are going keep doing it as long as they can. Maybe we need to start emailing them or sending snail mail letters telling them that unless the errors and mistakes pointed out in reviews like this one are worked on, then we aren't buying that particular kit. IMHO, Round 2 is as guilty if not more so of pushing quantity ahead of quality. Their kits aren't the cheapest and give us what we are paying for. IMHO, it's just poor management, sloppy production and no one really cares about anything but the bottom line. I'll be emailing Round 2 and voicing my opinion and I know better now than to buy this issue of the Galaxie. Can someone out there convince me that given today's technology and equipment, these people can't produce a superior product? Just my 2 cents worth...

I have an unbuilt original issue of this kit available, which should address all of your issues ;-) (except for the guys who want to complaint about how the original design of the kit was BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH, out-of-scale, etc etc)

I have one of those also... :)

Here's the email text that I just sent to Round 2.. Maybe more of us should be doing the same thing but not just to Round 2.....

I am writing in regard to one of your latest releases - the AMT 1965 Ford galaxie 500. I had every intention of purchasing at east two of these kits from my local hobby shop, but after reading some comments of the poor quality f the kit, I am reconsidering and will likely seek out older issues of the kit online. Apparently, this kit, like some of your other car products, has some fairly serious issues and given the prices of models today, I am careful what I buy. Like many other people in the hobby and given the state of the economy and the ever increasing cost of living, I will spend my money where I know that I will get a quality product.

Your company is supposedly restoring the old molds as I understand so why not upgrade the models by fixing errors like the windshield opening on the 78/9 Ford trucks? How difficult can it be to repair such an obvious flaw and error in the appearance of the model?

It seems almost as if there is little quality control with your company with errors in decal sheets and what seems, inmy opinion, to be a total disregard for the quality of your products. I can say with conviction that, again in my opinion, your company could larn some lessons from Moebius. I'll be supporting that company more given the superior quality of their products and the evident care thatthey put into making a good effort to make a quality, much more accurate and superior quality product.

Wake up AMY/Round 2 - these bad reviews of glaring mistales and poor quality are going to catch up with you. The above comments are my opinion only, but this email is one that is written out of concern as thehobby needs the products - but for goodness' sake, show the modelling community thatyou are actually trying to make an effort and justify the ever increasing prices of the models that you are marketing. You can reach me at the above address and phone number and address if you wish to. Sincerely, Gary Cook

Ooo, I do hope that is not the exact email you sent. The tone is somewhat combative (not a good way to get the attention you desire) and I counted no less than 9 spelling/spacing/punctuation errors (really not good when you're telling someone how poorly they're doing, quality-wise.)

For the record, I agree with you; all of the manufacturers could be doing a better job.

Ooo, I do hope that is not the exact email you sent. The tone is somewhat combative (not a good way to get the attention you desire) and I counted no less than 9 spelling/spacing/punctuation errors (really not good when you're telling someone how poorly they're doing, quality-wise.)

I was going to say the same exact thing. The message is filled with typos and grammar/punctuation mistakes (more than 9, BTW). Not the best way to be taken seriously...

I am writing in regard to one of your latest releases: the AMT 1965 Ford Galaxie 500.

I had every intention of purchasing at least two of these kits from my local hobby shop, but after reading some comments online from other modelers regarding the poor quality of the kit, I am reconsidering and will likely seek out older issues of the 1965 Galaxie online. Apparently this kit, like some of your other car products, has some fairly serious fit and assembly issues, and given the prices of models today, I am careful what I buy. Like many other people in the hobby and given the state of the economy and the ever increasing cost of living, I will spend my money where I know that I will get a quality product.

Your company is supposedly restoring the old molds as I understand, so why not upgrade the models by fixing errors like the windshield opening on the 1978/79 Ford trucks? How difficult can it be to repair such an obvious flaw and error in the appearance of the model?

It seems almost as if there is little quality control with your company with errors in decal sheets and what seems, in my opinion, to be a total disregard for the quality of your products. I can say with conviction that, again in my opinion, your company could learn some lessons from Moebius. I'll be supporting that company more given the superior quality of their products and the evident care that they put into making a good effort to make a much more accurate product.

Wake up AMT/Round 2 - these bad reviews of glaring mistakes and poor quality are going to catch up with you. The above comments are my opinion only, but this email is one that is written out of concern as the hobby needs the products; but for goodness' sake, show the modelling community that you are actually trying to make an effort and justify the ever increasing prices of the models that you are marketing. You can reach me at the above address and phone number and address if you wish to.

Sincerely, Gary Cook

Gary, I did some work on this one; anyone else wish to chime in?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

What exactly is wrong with this kit? Other glass fitting issues? I'm hearing complain about this kit, but what are exactly is everybody else complaining about? I build an Ertl release of this kit maybe 10 or more years ago. Other than not liking the taillights and the lack of chrome on the tree that included the rear seat speaker/trim, I didn't think the kit was too bad. I don't remember any problems with the fit of the glass. Is the glass too big? Too small? What? How about some pictures showing us the problems. Without see it, I don't know if I'd find it a problem or not. If it's minor, I can fix it. These are old kits. Things don't fit as well as they do on modern tooled kits. I expect that and have to be willing to work around that. In many cases I've been doing that since these kits were new.

Scott