Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hawk Midget Replica in Brass

Art Laski

Brad,

Thank you, but no, this is all new to me. I'm pleased, but there is still lots to learn!

Regarding the brass source, about a year ago a friend of my father-in-law's gave him some metal to give to me, so I was told. When I went to pick it up, this is what I found:

MetalRack-vi.jpg

It's fairly well stocked, but the smallest tube was 1/16. I didn't think I could find any smaller, but I was trolling through my local Hobby Lobby the other day and found some 3/64, so I snapped up a few packages.

I also wanted to order a Dirt Modeler front axle, but being that they were out of stock, I ended up jusy making my own.

I'm in the process of also building a sprint car and have ordered stuff from Dirt Modeler and since he was out of the axle, I just moved on to another build. I gotta have something for DSC in April. If I get the Scout Truck done, I'll get back to the sprint car. Thanks for the reference pics of yours to go by. You're killing this build and all that you've shown is the chassis. Can't wait for more.

Oh...really nice score on all of the metal.

Edited by gasser59

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Art,

Missed this upate :huh:

The suspension and steering are building up into an AWESOME assembly !!!!!!

Can't wait to see this in person at DSC, looking forward to meeting you!

Randy

Randy, thank you so much! I'm really excited to hear you're going to be at the DSC. I'm really looking forward to meeting you and seeing your incredible work in person. I'm going to have a vendor table selling Charlie's excellent Pro Tech products, so you'll have to come find me. It's going to be a good time, for sure!

Art the work you have done on this is just amazing !

Thanks, Seth! It's getting more and more challenging with the work I have coming up, but that's the best way to learn and get better, I think.

Oh Art.... I have got hawk Midget on the brain. Love the update on your front suspension. It looks killer as Does this whole chassis.

Thanks, Chris! It's super fiddly to work with mocking it up, but once it goes back together with nice bolts and heim joints, it's going to be a little less frustrating.

I've got a bit of a block on how to accomplish building the birdcages for the rear suspension. I have both Dirt Modeler pieces they offer, but they're a little different than what I need where the pickup points are. So until I figure out how I'm going to handle that, I thought I would try something else.

I reshaped the tail a little, as the diecast piece has some material in the front that a real tail doesn't have and it prevents it from mounting up against the cage as it should. So I ground it down with a bench grinder and filled it in with filler.

IMG_1521-vi.jpg

IMG_2052-vi.jpg

IMG_2051-vi.jpg

IMG_2054-vi.jpg

Made mounts on the chassis with some studs. Looks like a simple addition, but man, for some reason getting those deals lined up just right was quite an ordeal. Probably two or three times for each spud having to make sure

IMG_2080-vi.jpg?1424677748

IMG_2079-vi.jpg?1424677727

Primed the tail with self-etching primer and drilled it for the mounts.

IMG_2084-vi.jpg?1424677770

IMG_2089-vi.jpg

I also started to modify the hood a little. I have big mods planned for the area that covers the engine, but the nose needed a little reshaping first to match the shape of the real car.

I added some styrene to help guide the shaping process.

IMG_2077-vi.jpg?1424755480

IMG_2092-vi.jpg

IMG_2094-vi.jpg

More to follow... thanks for looking!

Art... you have been a busy bee Brother!! Glad ro see you getting in some bench time. That is some awesome work You are doing there. I know what it is like to get stuck on a mental block on trying to get something figued out for those birdcage mounts. with your talents i know you will be able to figure something out. I am not sure if you can modify the dirt modeler parts or if use them as a template to create your own by chance out of brass? Keep up the great work And I look forward to your next update.

Thanks, Danno!

Tim- yeah, I needed a good "foundation"! Haha...

Brad- you're right, it is pretty heavy. That tail is solid metal, and with the brass chassis, metal hood and tail, this baby is going to be stout.

Chris, thanks so much for looking in. Your comments already inspired me on a solution to the birdcages. Funny how that works...

Here are a couple more photos of the hood I forgot to add.

IMG_2097-vi.jpg

IMG_2096-vi.jpg