Model Cars Magazine Forum

A master craftsman and member of my home board is scratch building a 1/8 scale Camaro from a real one he dismanteled for specs. He sent me a resin copy of the engine to build and give him my honest opinion.

When it arrived I was blown away.

Billsengine2-vi.jpg

Each assembly was individually packaged and labeled and it came with a full set of detailed instructions including exploded pics.

Arrived-vi.jpg

Directions-vi.jpg

more ...

The pistons fit the rods with a press fit pin.

100_2532-vi.jpg

The crank installed just like a real one with individual main caps.

100_2530-vi.jpg

The piston & rod assemblys fit in through the top of the cylinders and were bolted with rod caps, studs and 00-90 nuts.

100_2534-vi.jpg

The heads came with individual springs and rocker arms and once assembled looked real.

000_5089-vi.jpg

There are more pics here of other assemblies.

http://public.fotki.com/old-hermits-garage/8thscalemodels/bills-camaro-engine/

I will be adding more pics as I progress and will post more here when available. Stay tuned.

It IS a BEAUTIFUL work of ART,Precisely detailed. BUT WHY? They ARE available in 1/8th scale already. Of course NOT as nice as THAT one, but wouldn't ya think a BIG BLOCK with that kinda detail woulda been better? NOT TO DETRACT AT ALL from your freinds hard work, but like I said, they ARE out there. If it had been me, I'da gone Big Block, cause THAT GRADE A kinda workmanship should definately be spent on a ONE of a kind Project! BEAUTIFUL PRECISION job,none the less!!! Just beautiful!!! :):D:D

It IS a BEAUTIFUL work of ART,Precisely detailed. BUT WHY?

THAT GRADE A kinda workmanship should definately be spent on a ONE of a kind Project!

It is a one of a kind George. He's scratch building the entire car not just the engine.

camaro_parts_027.jpg

camaro_parts_008.jpg

camaro_parts_017.jpg

:P HOLY CRIPES Al NOW I understand!!! THAT is just TOO cool!!! A 1/8th scale 69 Camaro isa ONE OF A KIND!!! BEAUTIFUL WORK by ANYONES standards!!! Hopefully we'll be able to see it when it's done! PLEASE give him MY praises on his project! It IS a labor of PURE love!!!! :):D;)

While I appreciate what He has done. What is the point? If all that inside detail is covered up when it is built? Maybe if it was cast with clear valve covers, oil pan and block it would be worth it.I can understand wanting the external parts to look real.

Edited by mustanglover1951

how much would just the engine kit go for? is he selling them?

I know he has sold a couple of the engines Mike.

What I don't know is if/when he will put them into production. I'll ask him.

While I appreciate what He has done. What is the point? If all that inside detail is covered up when it is built?

Maybe if it was cast with clear valve covers, oil pan and block it would be worth it.I can understand wanting the external parts to look real.

Pocher kits are the same way. I guess it's all about how much detail you want.

That is very impressive. I agree that some of the detail is lost when the engine is assembled, but for a diorama, the engine could be the focal point.

It reminds me of the Aurora 1/16 DOnovan and HEMI engines, which had lots of detail, included separate pistins, connecting rods, rod caps, etc., but not quite this level of detail.

When I saw the car it's going into I thought "Big deal, it's a Monogram 1/12 '69 Cama-" Oh that's right, it's 1/8 scale. ;)

I hope you keep us updated on the model's progress. :D

All I can say is WOW!!! that is a work of art.I wish I had a friend like that.....amazing craftmanship in the picture here I've seen.he really should have it casted up...I wish that model compant would do it like this.I know when you build it,it would not be seen...but so what its fun,to me.Thanks,Chris