Model Cars Magazine Forum

Easy And Cheap Photo-Booth.

W-409

I tried to search, but I didn't find this kind of Photo Booth-thread. I hope this helps someone who has issues with taking good photos.

So I made a Photo Booth, that's easy and takes only a little time. And it's very cheap too.

What You need, is a cardboard box, some white paper, big white poster or some other big (white) paper or cardboard and Transparent paper. Oh and of course three lights.

Tools you'll need:

-Tapes, strong tape and then invisible (Non colored) tape.

-Scissors

-A Ruler.

-A Knife.

-Black Sharpie.

PB230048.jpg

And here is the box:

PB230040.jpg

Start by Cutting one end of the box open.

PB230041.jpg

Then you'll need to cut holes to the box, otherwise it will be too dark. Draw the lines where to cut with black sharpie and ruler.

PB230042.jpg

...And then just cut.

PB230043.jpg

After cutting, you should end up to something like this. Mine is not that bad looking in live, picture makes it look rougher than it is.

PB230044.jpg

The next step might be the hardest thing. Cover the sides of that paint booth with white paper, it must be correct sized. Then find correct size poster, and that will be your "Floor" and the back wall. It needs to be one piece, of course, otherwise there will be disturbing seams on it.

PB230045.jpg

Then find some transparent paper, and tape the holes "closed".

PB230046.jpg

Here is the finished Photo Booth in action! Those lights are someones that I found from the Garage. Now you'll have one light on the top, and two on the sides. There will be no too noticeable shadows or anything. Models look quite good in here, and it's easier to camera to focus on the object, when there's no unnecessary stuff in the back.

PB230053.jpg

PB230058.jpg

W, if you will select the type lighting, Incandescent or Sunlight on your camera, you will lose that yellow or pinkish background haze.

Or, you can just select Auto Color when you photo edit your pics.

Jim, wax paper will melt from the lights.

Edited by CadillacPat

Seems pretty easy, except for the transparent paper. Everything else I have laying around. What about using wax paper?

Probably the best stuff you get at an art store. It is called Vellum. It is a lot stronger and translucent(you don't want transparent). Stands up well to hot lights.

Glad it could help someone!

Jim: The transparent paper should be easy to find, I guess most of the houses (At least in Finland) have that one. It's that paper, what's used when you put something to the oven, and what you put on the Baking tray. I guess every paper what is transparent, works well if it wont melt with the lights.

Pat: Yeah, I'm still trying to get the camera setting right for the new booth, thanks for the help!

Jacen: Yep, I've used that method for a long time too, but I've noticed that my Models look much worse in the pictures, as they are in real life. Maybe it's because of my camera, but that booth makes life much easier. :lol: Now I can take pictures with same settings every time, without any adjusting or fear that pictures look bad.