Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clone the Past Project

DBest

Hi all,

I’m working on a replica of Dennis Bryant’s Special Stingray/XKE as part of the International Model Car Builder’s Museum “Clone the Past” program (http://www.themodelcarmuseum.org/Programs/Clone/clone.html). This model appeared in the January 1965 issue of Car Model magazine, but there are quite a few gaps in the photos and information presented, so some artistic license will surely be employed in the cloning process. I would greatly appreciate some input from this distinguished group……

For example, there are no photos of the rear of the model, so here I have two questions:

1. There’s a rather deep undercut in the rear quarter panels that wraps around to the back. Any suggestions on how to resolve this into the rear panel ? I’m thinking I just extend the crease straight across the back and mount the taillight(s) somewhere underneath……
  2. The article indicates it was built with “Revell’s custom tail light” (note the singular, not plural). Any suggestions on which “custom tail light” from Revell might have been used ? Mark G supplied me with a large sprue (photo below) of many different red taillights (from a Parts Pak ?) and I could probably use any of them. I’m wondering if I should read anything into the fact that the article referred to “tail light” rather than “tail lights” ? Maybe I should just use the Corvette taillights as is ? Thoughts ?

Also, the article indicates the model was painted in “AMT’s metallic red lacquer”. Can anyone suggest a modern day equivalent for this color ?

Does anyone know of a kit source for Lucas Headlights ? They’re mounted behind the grille, so maybe I can get away with something that doesn’t exactly match a Lucas ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

post-10710-0-44598100-1411699521_thumb.j

post-10710-0-99239300-1411699535_thumb.j

post-10710-0-43342500-1411699588_thumb.j

Also, the article indicates the model was painted in “AMT’s metallic red lacquer”

The museum should have examples of all the different spray cans of that era. Even if someone has a dead can that the paint can be decanted from... that shouldn't be too tall a request. Anyone?

Dave when you said ONE custom tail light, this comes to mind:

MVC003F-vi.jpg

I know this kind of rear treatment was common on old Corvettes, that's why I did it. Unfortunately, this one was the custom tail light from the 1970 Chevy Impala... A little late for your project. Are there any other ones, but from that era?

• 3 weeks later...