Model Cars Magazine Forum

First Big Rig Build

Hello everyone.I am going to be starting on this kit shortly.

Peterbilt389BuildUp1.jpg

A friend has asked me to replicate this truck.

photo36.jpg

I have ordered the conversion kit to turn it from a 378 into a 389.I will be replacing the Detroit with a Cummins.If anyone has any tips on doing this conversion I would greatly appreciate them.

Thanx for lookin'

Jeremy

Man, if this is your first big rig, you sure can pick 'em....You're gonna have some fun, especially with a conversion kit...Don't get me wrong...I'm sure you can handle it, but I know I'd take my time with this one...But, by all means, have some fun with it....And I love the rig you're gonna tackle...Awesome truck...

Well Jeremy, if you scratch build a lot,that bumper and a lot of other parts thats going to be needed will not be a problem.

As for this being your first truck build you picked a good one for a challenge.

I'll be following you on this one so keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got started on this build.I got the block painted.

Peterbilt389BuildUp2_zps65dc7745.jpg

It was like Christmas yesterday at my bench.All the parts from P & P Resin showed up.

Peterbilt389BuildUp3_zps8f478319.jpg

I have a few questions for all you rig builders.I have to stretch the wheel base on this truck to 244".What is the best way to do this? Also where is the best part of the frame to stretch and what should I use styrene wise?

Thanx for lookin'

Jeremy

Jeremy hi,

IMO the best part of the frame to slice and strech is under the sleeper.

There are many ways to do it. The most easy way is to use a piece of frame from another kit (shortened wheelbase for example) Otherwise you can use styrene. I am sorry but at the moment I don't have how_to pictures to post. I have done this a few times and I can tell you that I did it in diferent way every single time. I am sure that other guys here will be more helpfull than me.

I recoment to you to take a look at www.timstrucks.com.

Kostas.

Edited by Kostas Parchas

Finally got started on this build.I got the block painted.

[img=http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn256/gautreau1971/Peterbilt%20388/Peterbilt389BuildUp2_zps65dc7745.jpg]

It was like Christmas yesterday at my bench.All the parts from P & P Resin showed up.

[img=http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn256/gautreau1971/Peterbilt%20388/Peterbilt389BuildUp3_zps8f478319.jpg]

I have a few questions for all you rig builders.I have to stretch the wheel base on this truck to 244".What is the best way to do this? Also where is the best part of the frame to stretch and what should I use styrene wise?

Thanx for lookin'

Jeremy

You might be able to get c channel from evergreen that matches the chassis, or specific chassis rails from sourkrauts model truck site.

Ben

Thanx for the info fellas.Good to know.I was misinformed on where it was measured from.

Tim I'm glad your comm enting on my build.I appreciate that the guru of all that is Peterbilt is lending his knowledge on this one.

Thanx for the compliments as well.