Model Cars Magazine Forum

Happy new years fellow builders. I've been on this for a week or so. Started with the AMT Daisy Duke Jeep and a couple of AMT '57 Chevy Stepside kits. I'm using tires from a kid's diecast BigFoot type truck and the plan is to get some turned rims from Jim at MicroNitro. The top of the engine is still being decided but I have a few ideas in mind.

Here's a few progress pictures.

MockUp1-vi.jpg

MockUpEngine-vi.jpg

Chassis1-vi.jpg

Chassis2-vi.jpg

Comments welcome. Stay tuned and thanks for following along.

Edited by gasser59

OK, this so far has gone fairly smoothly. I need to figure out the final mechanics of the crosspiece so there isn't any side-to-side movement but everything else is complete. I have a plan and am hoping it works out as well as everything else has so far.

Here's a few pics.

Both yokes are made of square aluminum tubing. One size is larger than the other.

Ujoint1-vi.jpg

Here they're in place with piano wire holding them together. This is quite sloppy with side-to-side movement.

Ujoint2-vi.jpg

In place in the axle yoke for the poseable steering.

Ujoint3-vi.jpg

And showing the yoke for the wheel side of the axle. Its tight in there.

Ujoint4-vi.jpg

Progress will continue this afternoon so stay tuned.

Edited by gasser59

Brad,

I am still stuck on the u joints....impressive! did you just use insulated wire and glue 2 pieces to make a cross? I also though of soldering the 2 wires together then using heat shrink tubing to help hold them in place and take the slop out of the joint. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build!

Steve

Steve - I'll try and diagram how I did this and I really hope I'm able to reproduce it again for the other side.

CrossPieceDiagram-vi.jpg

I drilled a .016 hole through the side of a piece of insulation and through that I put a piece of wire and added the other smaller pieces of insulation. After the crosspiece was in place in the U-joint, the other pieces of wire were added through the yoke and glued. In other words, the glue joints on the insulation have the solid piece of wire and the single piece of insulation gets the pieces of wire. Hope this makes sense.

Edited by gasser59

Nice work as always, Brad. That Daisy's kit makes for a great starting point once it's cleaned it up a bit.

I cheated on the joints for my posable front drive axle and made them just fit together, held in place by the steering knuckle. But there was a reason for it...had to do them in a way they could be cast without too much fuss. A worthy concession but still a concession. These look great!

Nice work on the Jeep.

I have some toy wheels like those. I used to drive the Garden State Parkway in NJ to work. Sometimes it would be 2 hrs in stop and go traffic to get home. I had a car pool mate and we'd occupy our time by cataloging the garbage in the left shoulder up against the road divider. Everything would show up there, from baseball caps to dead animals to exhaust and car parts to pee bottles. One day I spied a toy 4x4 chassis. The first day I just looked at it. On the second day we talked about it and devised our plan to get it. On the third day we remembered where it was and made sure I could snag it. I drove close to the left shoulder and we saw it coming up. We were in stop and go so we timed the stop so we'd be right there. I had my seat belt off, i veered to the left and opened the door. I saw it under me and grabbed it. We hooted and hollered like kids. It's in my model parts box. I'll have to use it some day.