Model Cars Magazine Forum

A few Old soldiers from the archives

gtx6970

I read the thread of budget minded modelers and I got to thinking of these .

These are all 'older' built kits.

And I keep these around just to remind me of my early days with model cars. Basically to show what it was like , with sewing thread for plug wires, silver paint for window trim . Or if we had to hand paint lettering if when some lettering or sponser decal wasn't avail in this or some other kit. I do think about pulling them apart from time to time, but they always end up just getting dusted and put back in the shelf

The Schartman Maverick and the Vanke 1972 Duster I bought off ebay exactly the way they are shown here. The S+M Roadrunner I built ,,,a LOOOOONG time ago. Like when you could go into any local toy store and buy it off the shelf.

None would ever stand a chance on a contest table today, but none of them will probably ever be redone either.

PS, if YOU have any old builts so show, post them up and lets see 'em

FastEddie1.JPG

FastEddie2.JPG

Edited by gtx6970

Sweet!! Tires are perfect!!! U use the ones from the kit or aftermarket?

Tires on the Maverick I can't answer . I don't know if they are the ones from that particular kit or not( I didn't build it )

Tires and wheel on the S+M Roadrunner are form the S+M Superbird kit ( the decals are as well )

Tires and wheels on the Duster I am pretty sure are the ones that came with the kit back then.

These are the coolest! This is when there was no aftermarket anything. You had to search it out on your own. No internet, you went to the drag races and photographed the car or had a book or mag (hot rod or car craft come to mind). These builds are cool!!!!I love them all

Here's one from 1963 1/2. When I was 13 years old in 1963 I painted this, probably my first successful spray job and that is why I will never repaint it. Our neighbor who worked at Chevrolet Muncie, yeah the 4-speed manual plant, bought a new one, a ,black 390 version. It was literally the coolest car on the block. Of course being the big Chevrolet man he was, he did the logical thing with it. After hot rodding it around a while he ran out of gas right on the railroad tracks when a train just happened to be coming, barely escaping just before the train destroyed it. I think there may have been a few soda pops consumed along the way. I don't think he owned it long enough to make the first payment. Luckily mine did not share the same fate, although many of my models wound up in big fiery crashes. I do have the reissue to build and compare some day. Man look at that shine!!! I am like the proud Dad of this one. :lol:DSC04284_zpsf625da04.jpgDSC04285_zps2061308c.jpgDSC04292_zpsdd391338.jpgDSC04290_zps113df077.jpg

Edited by rmvw guy

You know, after I posted the '63 I noticed this thread is under "Drag Racing Models", well this is an old drag racing model, of course back then my version was chrome reverse wheels, racing slicks, cut out pipes and a tow bar. I also drilled out the middle headlights for air flow to the engine which had three carburetors. Very trick huh? Also later it had a raised stance but, never any decals. I kind of restored it back to stock street later on but, a former drag racer. Thanks for looking. I love this thread! :)