Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ok so a late update for what I was able to get done yesterday.

Door panels are done and all I have left on dash is the instrument panel decal.

41chevyfinisheddoorpanelsdash.png

Here is the engine with the breather and scoop on finally.

41chevyenginefront.png

Side view.

41chevyengineangle.png

Here is a mock up so far. sorry for crappy pics. The lights in the basement are garbage.

41chevycabpaintedmockup.png

The engine is sitting really low right now but once i get the motor mounts made it will be where it should.

41chevycabmockupangle.jpg

Next update will probably be saturday since i have to work.

OK so it's technically sunday but its an update. All the model work I did last night. Today I did some cleaning and reorganizing of my build area.

On to the pics.

Finished the dash.

41chevydashfinished.jpg

I was able to get the cab together.

41chevycabfinished1.jpg

41chevycabfinished2.jpg

41chevycabfinished3.jpg

Got the rear bumper brackets, side mirror, and the rear license plate painted.

41chevyfinalparts2.jpg

Got the motor mounts made and painted.

41chevymotormounts.jpg

I think I will use this decal set from the kit.

41chevydecals1.jpg

And finally my new work area. A lot more room and somewhat better light. I really need to invest in a large florescent light that I can put above me. Working in the basement isn't the best for lighting.

NewWorkArea.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to get the bed done, engine mounted, driveshaft cut to right length and painted, maybe get grill mounted, and start painting the wood racks.

I've been researching airbrushing with nail polish and came across decanting spay paint. I wish I would have thought of that for this build since I hate the way the paint came out. Oh well, learn something for the next build. My next build the paint will be much better. NO more rattle cans unless decanted.

I didn't get as much done today as I wanted to but I got a little done.

Got the decals on the cab.

41chevycabdecal.jpg

Got the bed painted except the floor. I got a coat on the wood rails. Also got the decals on the side of the bed. I can probably get the floor done tomorrow.

41chevydecals1-1.jpg

41chevydecals2.jpg

I would have got more done but my son wanted me to paint a bunch of parts with my airbrush for a Caribbean Pirate Ship he is building. I had to paint the wood rails the same color he needed so what was I to do. It gave me some good practice time with my airbrush.

Had problems with the motor mounts and the steering box being in the way. I'll work on that tomorrow too.

I'm hoping to get the motor mounted, bed finished, bumper brackets on and the bumpers stripped and painted black tomorrow but could be next friday before I can get back to the bench.

I have to say I am loving the new work area. so much more room and light. Still need more light but it's better than it was by far.

Ok so I am not going to get very far today. I am officially waiting until this weekend to go to the hobby shop and get some square rod so I can get the motor mounted properly. I can't find anything I can use in my current arsenal to mount the motor correctly. Oh well. I did get a little done today though.

Got the tailgate painted. Just need to add decals to it.

41chevytailgate.jpg

The bed is officially done except the tailgate being added.

41chevybedwithoutrack.jpg

Here it is with the racks.

41chevybedwithrack.jpg

I also got the license plates done.

41chevylicenseplates1.jpg

41chevylicenseplates2.jpg

I still need to figure out what I am going to do about exhaust. Need to pick up some aluminum tubing and some solder while at the hobby store this weekend.

Since I am stuck until this weekend I figured I'd throw together a mock up of my next build. Check it out here:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69683

Ok so I got a lot done today and finished it up. On to the pics:

I totally forgot about the gas cap on the cab. Had to strip and paint it.

41chevygascap.jpg

Finally decided on these exhaust pipes. I didn't have the parts to build headers with solder so I found these in a double dragster kit. I wanted to use the longer pipes in that kit but the last pipe hit the cab on both sides.

41chevyenginecompleted1.jpg

41chevyenginecompleted2.jpg

Here's the engine mounted along with the drive shaft.

41chevyenginemounted1.jpg

Another angle.

41chevyenginemounted2.jpg