Model Cars Magazine Forum

A modified reissue idea for AMT

I know i'll be in the minority here but I would like to see AMT update there 95 Ford Ranger kit into an 07 XLT, would be an easy conversion for them, only major differences are front fascia, talights, and some minor stuff in the interior, it would allow them to get a little more life out of that tooling

951441234.208515281.IM1.02.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

951441235.208515281.IM1.04.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

or even better, they can update there 4X4 promo to an 07 4X4 extended cab Ranger.

1156317966.211450954.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

I know AMT won't even consider these, they would prohibably be decent sellers, not huge but they would sell enough to pay for the tooling

• 12 years later...

Here's a slam-dunk.

AMT/R2 already has this, which is pretty good.   Image result for AMT '34 Ford

Change NOTHING but the body shell. NOT THE HOOD, GRILLE, OR ANYTHING ELSE.  I'll even provide a correct set of dimensions taken from a real car, for FREE. And work closely with the tooling designers to make sure it comes out RIGHT and actually FITS the earlier parts correctly...for FREE.

Image result for 1934 Ford #-window

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

^^^   I'll sweeten the deal even more. I'll provide a very high quality 1/25 scale master, guaranteed to fit the existing kit parts perfectly, and as close to 1:1 dimensionally accurate as humanly possible, while still fitting the original kit as it needs to.

Scan the master. Cut the outer surfaces of the tool. Save lotsa $$ in development.

On 2/1/2019 at 11:28 AM, Mark said:

Didn't Ford change the entire chassis under the Ranger around that time, to get rid of the Twin I-Beam front suspension?

It was in the late 1990's....the cab length was extended (to create a bit more interior room) …..I didn't recall the front suspension being changed specifically but that does make sense given some other projects and activities that were underway at Ford at the same time (one of which did not make it to the production line) ….  TIM 

On 2/1/2019 at 12:33 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

^^^   I'll sweeten the deal even more. I'll provide a very high quality 1/25 scale master, guaranteed to fit the existing kit parts perfectly, and as close to 1:1 dimensionally accurate as humanly possible, while still fitting the original kit as it needs to.

Scan the master. Cut the outer surfaces of the tool. Save lotsa $$ in development.

Bill....as I believe I've posted previously, I had advocated for an all-new  series of 1934 Fords at Revell for years.....and the project was always on their list, but never quite made it to the top of the list for development.  

I agree with you that the AMT-Ertl 5 window coupe kit is a pretty credible place to start ( a lot better than most modelers realize, IMHO).   Doing a new 3 window coupe body is a very interesting idea for that tool.   (The current team at Round 2 pretty much acknowledges, I think, that the 1975 1/2 ish "3 window kit" was a complete fail....and as a result I would be surprised to see it reissued.   But getting the level of funding needed to do a new body cavity for the 5W tool, no matter what the development approach, I suspect, would be a challenge for their product development team.  Nevertheless, I am going to mention your idea to them.....)   TIM 

On 2/3/2019 at 7:47 AM, tim boyd said:

...getting the level of funding needed to do a new body cavity for the 5W tool, no matter what the development approach, I suspect, would be a challenge for their product development team.  Nevertheless, I am going to mention your idea to them.....)   TIM 

Thanks for your response, Tim. I'll be attending the Design 2 Part trade show here in March. It's usually also attended by several US-based injection molding companies (I was slated to do an article for the mag prior to Harry's passing), and I'm thinking of putting the idea out for bids, just to get an idea of the reality of the situation.

Of course I'll do it in my own name, with no reference to R2, AMT, or anyone else, as I'm obviously not representing anyone but myself in the inquiry.

What do you think a realistic minimum initial production run would be (5000 units, 10,000 units, etc.)

Please PM me with another contact method if you want, as I may not be here much longer.