Model Cars Magazine Forum

454 SS, just a boring box stock build

I remember building a lot of of these when I was in kid/teen years, well thats about all I did was build, very little painting :lol: . So fat I have been getting the body ready for painting and the chrome stripped. Now the whole goal with this build is to use my A/B for paint and clear coat, I can manage to get a smooth, or least what looks to me as a smooth paint job , but then I clear coat with out of the can.
c454.jpg
pa3.jpg

Still needs a few more coats
c454-1.jpg

Edited by martinfan5

I did do a few more coats of paint, but I seem to go back words and its not as smooth as the first few coats, I should of not mess with how I had the A/B settings :banghead: , I am going to wetsand and get it smooth, and do one more . I am sure the colder weather did not help either .

Did get some work done on the engine and chassis
c454a.jpg
c454b.jpg
And sprayed the interior in red primer
c454c.jpg

Story of my life :P Thanks anyways :) I have the )non-454SS) stepside version of this kit,wanted to build a "350SS",or Sport (I know the Sport was a 454 look-alike package,one I almost traded the Mustang in the avatar for,IDK if the '350SS' was a real package or not,but there were several of them running around here back in the day-non of the abov with the stepside). Either way,I'menjoying your build :D

Didnt the sport package have the red trim?, or did just say sport instead of 454ss on the bed?, I had a few spare beds, in 2004 or so :lol:

Well, I got the clear on, and it looks like BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH, I am still learning with the A/B, and first time doing the clear with it. I think I am going to do a few coats from the can, then wet sand and polish

The chassis is almost done, just need to add the spare tire

454ca.jpg

and the interior, I need to touch up a few areas, but its pretty done

454in.jpg

Edited by martinfan5

It's looking great,my friend,interior looks just like the 1:1's!

Only color I ever saw the Sports in was black and red-both decked outjust like the 454SS (though I have seen a few red ones with 4.3L's...),the "350SS's I saw back in the day were all black ones (after talking to several local-ish friends from back then via email this week,pretty sure the 350SS was a dealer thing,basically a 350/auto Sport with dealer installed decals).

Nice build so far

Always wanted this kit. Still haven't gotten one.

Had the 89 Annual Long box Fleetside building it box stock & Box art.

Decided to jump under my feet one day while I was walking by the shelf.

The Tires/rims MIGHT be salvagable, but don't think anything else is.

Have not started the stepside kit and the 88 Annual is still sealed!!

I have this shortbox fleetside in Promo form, but it is an Indy/Brickyard Pace Car!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've relegated that truck to the back of my to-be-built pile because I can't figure out how to make the headlight lenses look realistic. It's a shame because I like how they designed the rest of the model.

This subject came up on another forum and Steve Milberry supplied what seems to be the best solution to the problem:

Your only option is to cut out the molded in ones and replace them. The lenses themselves are pretty easy. Just a rectangle of clear plastic with prism pattern etched on them with an x-acto blade and a ruler.

To do the reflectors, just make a couple retangular boxes the size of the light opening. Cover the opening where the lens goes with foil. Self adheasive foil duct tape works well for me but you could also use kitchen foil. Just glue it to the opening and carefully smooth it down into the box, slowly as not to rip it. It just has to be smoothed in a bit to form a reflector area of the headlights.

Sorry I don't have any pics right now,, I did have a couple but they're missing from fotki at the moment.

Thanks, Steve!

And Jonathan S, if you get a chance, could you repost your pics? They had all timed out before I got to see them, and I was looking forward to having some WIP info for this kit. TIA!