Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Twelve Days Of Christmas.

Jairus

Guest roadkill2525
Good morning!

Only 3 more shopping days until Christmas…

(Most men start shopping about now!)

Merry Christmas!

Started yesterday, finished today. I wish I could say the same for my models.

Good morning!

Only 2 more shopping days until Christmas… you got plenty of time!

Today’s cover is from December 1971 CARtoons.

CTM71-vi.jpg

Cover by Bruce Steffenhagen

Once again the Varmints have converted Unk’s T into a snow-go’er, but not sure where the big snowball came from. Notice the tiny detail where the snowball covers part of the header? This was a fairly new layout technique back in ’71, first used in “Glamour†magazines. Hot Rod and many others have done it since with varying degrees of success. Next time you are in the checkout line at the Grocery store… look at the women’s magazines and see just how many are now overusing this technique!

Merry Christmas!

Too Cool to see all these, thanks again for this thread Jairus!

Remembering all these from my younger days got me to looking around the web to find some more of the history of various artists.

Here's a three-part article published shortly after Pete Millar's death that acurately chronicles his trials and tribulations as a cartoonist...

Part 1 http://www.competitionplus.com/02_18_2004/pete_millar.html

Part 2 http://www.competitionplus.com/03_25_2004/pete_millar.html

Part 3 http://www.competitionplus.com/04_15_2004/pete_millar3.html

Within the article are other interesting links that will provide more of the history!

Enjoy

Hey Dave, thanks for posting those links. I read all about it and brought tears to my eyes.... (sniff)

I talked to Pete on the phone about 6 months before he passed. Tried to get him to do some cartoons for MCM. He declined saying the publishing of the last issue of Dragtoons was just about enough work for him. He also told me a bit about some of the other artists who contributed in the 60's. It was a conversation that I wish I had thought ahead to record... oh well.

Edited by Jairus

Good morning!

Its Christmas EVE! Whoo Hoo!

This last cover comes from January 1964 and the image is set at Midnight on the eve of December 24th!

CTMjan64-vi.jpg

Cover Drawn and painted by Roark

Ed Roth was a big contributor to this issue and had his image on the inside cover. Carl Kohler penned a 7 page “A Very Hairy Christmas†where I believe we get to see the Varmints for the first time listening to a Christmas yarn told by Ed Roth.

Merry Christmas!