Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Holy Grail" Models?

MVC010S-vi.jpg

Here's a photo of when all my stars were in perfect alignment! GSL 2003, that's me on the left (with hair!), next to Bob Paeth (who has since passed away) and Tom Daniel. Back when I was a kid, my favorite kits were the Revell '57 Nomad with the beach scene on the box, and Tom Daniel cars. So here I am as an adult with the two guys who were responsible for those products! As a kid I could never have imagined this would happen someday!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow I remember when Billy started this thread back when this board started. Since then I picked up 2 'Grail' kits the 63 Pontiac Bonneville mint in the box and 58 Ford with stock parts only, but along the way I got some I didnt know were on my list until they appeared in front of me. Is that how this 'grail' thing works? :unsure:

DSC04673-vi.jpgDSC04675-vi.jpg

I always liked them too...2 from my childhood days has always eluded me...the(Un-Real Roller) and (Mean Maverick)kits.

I am currently after the Unreal Roller. I won one on EBay for just over 200.00 and when the guy went to mail them to me (the Unreal Roller and the Honest Engine kits) someone broke into his truck and stole the package. I did get my money back though. I have since won the Honest engine again. I have three of the Mean Maverick kits. They are on EBay quite often.

Have really been enjoying this thread.

Seems like the recurrent theme is everyone looking for a kit from their childhood that inspires fond memories. I'm no different, but my search had a really great ending.

What if someone walked up to you one day, and handed you a bunch of boxes that contained *all* of your Holy Grail kits???? Here's my story...

I have a much older brother who came of age during what many refer to as the "Golden Age" of model cars, late 50's - mid 60s. He was a wiz at building them, with slick paint jobs and often great detail. Then, like many others of that era, he graduated to 1:1 cars, got married, started a family and career, etc etc, and the models got boxed-up and stashed away for decades.

As a kid, I would sometimes watch him build, and was astonished by his skill. As the collection grew, I committed each car and its details to memory, vowing to obtain and build some of them for myself "someday".

Well, in my day (1970s), I was a pretty decent builder, but no Tim Boyd. Figured I could handle those golden oldies, though, so I started trying to track down some of those kits like my brother built. Didn't have much luck. Would nail one once-in-a-while. Fast forward to the late 90s and the internet, started getting more scores, but still missing so many. Prices also were skyrocketing for old kits. I was also dealing with family and career obligations; you know how it goes.

Spring of 2010, my brother, now almost 70 years old, knowing that I'm still a model car nut, hands over the aforementioned boxes, saying he figured it was time to give me the collection for "safekeeping". I just about passed out on the spot. Not only the built-ups, but some unbuilt treasures as well. And, let me also mention the "parts box" - some of you guys would go nuts over its contents.

Attached is a photo of a small sampling of some of his cars on display in my "man cave". Hope you enjoy.....

post-10758-0-10930600-1436160587_thumb.j

Edited by ToyLvr

Have really been enjoying this thread.

Seems like the recurrent theme is everyone looking for a kit from their childhood that inspires fond memories. I'm no different, but my search had a really great ending.

What if someone walked up to you one day, and handed you a bunch of boxes that contained *all* of your Holy Grail kits???? Here's my story...

I have a much older brother who came of age during what many refer to as the "Golden Age" of model cars, late 50's - mid 60s. He was a wiz at building them, with slick paint jobs and often great detail. Then, like many others of that era, he graduated to 1:1 cars, got married, started a family and career, etc etc, and the models got boxed-up and stashed away for decades.

As a kid, I would sometimes watch him build, and was astonished by his skill. As the collection grew, I committed each car and its details to memory, vowing to obtain and build some of them for myself "someday".

Well, in my day (1970s), I was a pretty decent builder, but no Tim Boyd. Figured I could handle those golden oldies, though, so I started trying to track down some of those kits like my brother built. Didn't have much luck. Would nail one once-in-a-while. Fast forward to the late 90s and the internet, started getting more scores, but still missing so many. Prices also were skyrocketing for old kits. I was also dealing with family and career obligations; you know how it goes.

Spring of 2010, my brother, now almost 70 years old, knowing that I'm still a model car nut, hands over the aforementioned boxes, saying he figured it was time to give me the collection for "safekeeping". I just about passed out on the spot. Not only the built-ups, but some unbuilt treasures as well. And, let me also mention the "parts box" - some of you guys would go nuts over its contents.

Attached is a photo of a small sampling of some of his cars on display in my "man cave". Hope you enjoy.....

attachicon.gifIMG_2128.JPG

Very cool story Mike... :)

AMT 1964 Buick Wildcat and MPC 1970 Charger.

Got the Buick (s) ,but no luck with the Charger. If it`s true how Revell maby will put out the 70

i`ll be fine with the Revell kit because this is a subject i want to build.

New unicorn to the list is the AMT 63 Bonneville hardtop.

old210s-vi.jpg

Great story Mike, a special collection because of the connection to your youth and your brother.

My story doesn't have that aspect! Many years ago a vendor of mine at work asked me to look at something in his trunk. I was amazed! There was a large TV box full of old models and promos all wrapped in old shirts. He said a friend of his found it on a basement cleanout of an old house. He said his friend understood if these were all mint in the box, they'd be worth money. But the kits were poorly built with the hoods glued shut. The promos were all poorly detail painted. So he just wanted to give the box to someone who would appreciate them. My friend told him about me and the deal was sealed.

Box was transferred to my car and it was very difficult to work the rest of the day! This was in the 1990s so the kits weren't worth what they fetch today. Still, this became the core of my old built up collection.

Edited by Tom Geiger

• 2 years later...

I already have a new to me copy of my 1st skill 2 kit that requires glue. The kit I consider my 1st model car. Bit the real deal. The very 1st model kit I ever came into contact with was a simple snap 1/32 scale that I consider my holy grail. The kit I most desire yet is seemingly unfindable. So what's your most desired kit? Tell us the reason why it's your favoriteScreenshot_2017-11-01-19-04-22-1.thumb.p