Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dan Gurney's '68 Indy 500 Ride

ismaelg

Hello,

I'm a big fan of racing, and I love the Indy 500. I also like F1 and from time to time I check the CART scene. Yet I've never done an open wheel race car model. Maybe it was the decal intensive work that prevented me to try it. While drag racing models had to be separated into many categories in the last show due to the huge amount, the open wheel racing table was not as popular. I feel I need to so something to keep it alive. So when I got home I dug this one out and started working on it.

DSCF0107-vi.jpg

I don't want to go crazy with it, just a nice shelf model. But I'm not fooling anyone, I can't build box stock. But I'll try to keep it simple. You can build 2 different versions. I'll go with the '68 Indy 500 car. Gurney finished 2nd in that race. I've found that online reference material is very scarce.

First order of business was to get the body parts to fit properly. Some material was added to one side and finished with a touch of putty.

DSCF0101-vi.jpg

DSCF0106-vi.jpg

DSCF0108-vi.jpg

I'll keep you posted as I try these uncharted waters.

Thanks,

Edited by ismaelg

I'm sure this will be a stunner like always! ;) This is cool because its the first one of your builds I will be able to watch from the beginning. Like Bill's '55, I'll be sitting back with a big bucket of popcorn and enjoying the show. :P:blink:

Edited by dub

Thanks dub, But I'm nowhere near Bill or his creations. This will be a rather simpler build just for fun. :)

You really had to have guts to get in one of these things with no ground effects, and take the Indy turns at 175+ MPH with the concrete wall calling you...

DSCF0112-vi.jpg

This is the Masking Tape Special next to the STS which is the same scale. Sure the STS is a big car, but you get the idea.

Body panels now fit better and it is ready for primer.

Thanks,

Hello,

When I was satisfied with the gaps I applied Plastikote T235 primer...

DSCF0129-vi.jpg

...and finally some color! After extensive research I've found that the formula for the paint used in this car back in the day is very close to the formula of a current color: Corvette LeMans blue.

In other words: That's the closest I had on hand! ;)

DSCF0187-vi.jpg

When polishing time comes, I need to keep in mind that although these cars were carefully kept and well maintained, these were not show cars. So I need to refrain myself from going overboard polishing.

Thanks,

Hello there friend! That sure looks very small to be working with :o " Im sure you will climb right over this as you always do and complete another awesome build. Jus wanted to say your Corvette collection is way coooollll.. ;) Keep on wit the keepin on!!! B) Keep us posted with the "Gurney".

Peace

AJulia

Thanks guys,

Here is the first mechanical part. The Hewland transaxle. I added oil lines to the filter and made everything to look like well maintained, but used. I also machined the part on the back which I believe is for the external starter.

DSCF0184-vi.jpg

The filter was dirtied up a bit and took a nip out of the decal for that used look.

DSCF0141b-vi.jpg

I'll be very busy in the next few days, so not much progress until next week.

Thanks,

Thanks guys!

Gray: While not exactly a strict documented replica, I'm loosely building the 1968 Indy 500 race car that Gurney drove to 2nd place. The car used the Weslake engine. I eventually plan to build the cammer engine to display next to it.

Thanks,

Tato, you are taking this model to another level. It,s going to look asome when done.

those details are what is making this project so sweet. Keep it up mi pana. ;)

Ismael,

Someplace, BURIED in a box, I have perhaps 100 color pics I shot of the AAR Eagles at Indy in 1968, in Gasoline Alley, as well as down in the pits (Yup, used to spend my days off from the hobby shop where I worked at the Speedway every May!). The color used back then by AAR (1966-71) was a very dark "Midnite Blue", I believe a Fomoco color from perhaps 64-65(?).

Two caveats though, with this kit:

First, and the easiest to correct, even though it takes a second kit, is that the tires seldom all four came out of the mold decently, EVERY one of the dozen or so that I built back in the day (did all the variants of the '68 Eagle--68-71, then Larry Rice's 1978 ride, the last of these cars to make the race). The second is tougher: The right front suspension has a problem, making the wheel lean WAY inward at the top, negative camber. Granted, there is a little bit of negative camber on that wheel on an oval track, but not as much as the kit. Takes some tweaking.

Also, don't be too quick to eliminate all the seams in the tub, they are there in 1:1, as you no doubt remember from seeing Bobby Unser's 1968 Winner, the Rislone Eagle, the Offy powered version of the car you are building (AAR designed this particular Eagle to accept either the 4-cam Ford [either 255cid normally aspirated. or the 168cid turbocharged version] the Gurney Weslake, even a small block Chevy (for the very similarly set up Formula A car). The tub also has a lot of exposed rivets, common for a monocoque chassis of the day.

It was so cool watching that race, as Gurney's pit was directly across the front stretch where I was sitting with Larry Rice (ESPN race host, Rookie of the Year at Indy in '78-shared with Rick Mears--and soon to become USAC Midget Champion). Every pit stop was like AA-Fuel at the drags--that Weslake had awesome power right from a standing start, no pushing out of the pits by the crew, Gurney simply dropped it into 1st, stood on it, white smoke boiling from the rear tires!

Biscuitbuilder

Hello,

When I was satisfied with the gaps I applied Plastikote T235 primer...

DSCF0129-vi.jpg

...and finally some color! After extensive research I've found that the formula for the paint used in this car back in the day is very close to the formula of a current color: Corvette LeMans blue.

In other words: That's the closest I had on hand! ;)

DSCF0187-vi.jpg

When polishing time comes, I need to keep in mind that although these cars were carefully kept and well maintained, these were not show cars. So I need to refrain myself from going overboard polishing.

Thanks,

At the start of the "500", major entries, such as AAR's cars, were very nearly show car in appearance, but by race end, they were pretty grubby--lots of debris chips in the leading edge of the nose, oil stains all over the front of the car, and if the racing was close, rubber powder (the tires of the day tended to grind off powdered rubber, not the gumball "marbles" of today). They got pretty dirty, and kinda beat up.

Biscuitbuilder

Also, don't be too quick to eliminate all the seams in the tub, they are there in 1:1, as you no doubt remember from seeing Bobby Unser's 1968 Winner, the Rislone Eagle...

Hey Art!

I think of you when working on this model. ;) I didn't eliminated the seams. That's a no-no. I just made them tighter and eliminated some ugly gaps. Thanks for the heads up on the front suspension. I'll check on that.

Thanks,

I ran out of my "overcomplicaditis" meds. I started doing the stacks in aluminum. I'll do about 10 or so so I can pick the best 8. Yes, the kit's ones are decent, yes I can buy them made but what fun would that be? :blink:

DSCF0142-vi.jpg

I also did the other halfshaft. Too bad they need to be painted :blink:

DSCF0208-vi.jpg

Thanks,

I ran out of my "overcomplicaditis" meds. I started doing the stacks in aluminum. I'll do about 10 or so so I can pick the best 8. Yes, the kit's ones are decent, yes I can buy them made but what fun would that be? :blink:

DSCF0142-vi.jpg

I also did the other halfshaft. Too bad they need to be painted :blink:

DSCF0208-vi.jpg

Thanks,

What was really neat to watch, was the starting of a 255cid 4-cam Ford. That engine was the first in the US to regularly get wound up to 10,000rpm plus, which meant that those injector horns, and the throats themselves, were so large as to preclude enough vacuum at the speed a Joe Hunt portable starter could turn that engine over. Solution?

A pit crew person, on each side of the car, with an old-fashioned, trigger pump oilcan filled with methanol fuel. Each of these crewmen had to know the firing order of their respective cylinder banks, and they performed quite a "dance" with their cans of fuel, squirting shots of methanol directly into the injector horn, in correct sequence, each shot on time. This would fire the engine pretty quickly from cold, and within seconds, the driver could blip the starter for an amazing, raucous exhaust sound. That engine had, of course, dry sump lubrication, with 7 oil pumps handling the chore in the crankcase, so it warmed up pretty quickly, and within 30-seconds or so, the car was ready to be pushed away, either from the pits, or from the starting grid.

There was nothing at all like the scream of the Ford 4-cam at speed either! Those trumpet exhaust pipes simply magnified the sound, which could be heard all the way around Indianapolis' 2.5 mile oval, no matter where you stood. Strangely, the "Doppler Effect" when coming at you down the front stretch quieted it down a lot, enough so that if you were in the South pits, beyond the start-finish "Yard of Bricks" those cars could be heard making the first "cannon shot" sounds as their tires hit the short bit of brick.

Ahh, those were the days!

Biscuitbuilder