Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom Dave Deal car hauler trailer

I dont think Dave ever designed or drew any pictures of trailers but I am trying to create one similar to what I think he might have done. I wanted to put all of my Deal models into one grouping but I thought a display case was a little too boring. So, I figured, why not have the Vanman pull the Trans Um and zzzzzz-28 on a trailer?

Coming up with an idea for a trailer that would look like something Dave might have done hasn't been easy, and I still dont know if mine is wacky enough but here are a few progress pics. I tried to make it really rounded and swoopy, kinda like the cars it's pulling.

Let me know what you guys think. The part on the back is going to be a fold up ramp that the cars drive up on. I plan to cover the top with diamond plate coverd in bmf. The frame color will be a bright metallic blue. I am also making another Vanman to match the trailer in the same blue.

untitled.png

untitled3.png

untitled4.png

untitled2.png

Excellent idea ! You've got a good start there , I like the shape and the ramp . Have you seen the trailer that comes with AMT's Silhouette ? It's got a silmilar shape and maybe part of it could be used . PM me if you're interested . I have a spare .

Thanks guys! I dont know if I have seen the silhoutte trailer before but I think I can make this one work. Show me a pic if you have one. I could always use some inspiration.

I am thinking of making a bail type hitch (similar to a push-pull scraper) for the front of the trailer instead of the typical framed design. It will look kinda like a huge "D" ring on the front. I have a really wacky looking receiver hitch for the back of the van that I have been toying with. I think it will look nicely overstated when I get it all complete.

I am still looking for some ideas on the overall trailer though. It seems too simple or plain to be something Dave would have made. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions of things that I should incorporate. Pics will help too if you have any.

Thanks again for looking.

I have a few small updates and I'm still kinda working out the final design as I go. I got the receiver hitch done. I think it's very nicely exaggerated in typical Dave fashion.

5.png

2.png

I got some bondo and primer work done on the trailer and the duck tail ramp. I think it is just about smooth enough. Probably needs 1 more coat of primer before it is ready for paint. I plan to make a really big and really cool piano hinge for the ramp and I need to come up with some tail lights for it.....

3.png

4.png

Here is an idea of what I have planned for the fenders/car stoppers.

6.png

7.png

I think the idea of a "D" ring the trailer hitch is fitting for the model but I don’t know if it looks quite right. You can see it kinda mocked up in the pics. I don’t know if I should stick with it or go with a more typical tongue style trailer. If I do stick with it I will make it hinge of the front similar the piano hinge I will make for the back.

Thoughts? Ideas? Input?

Edited by kyotey1693

Rock and Roll! Photobucket is back up and working now. What do yall think?

Man that was giving me so much trouble last night when I was trying to add photos. I'm loving your concept here. I've personally never built one of these but they look like fun. Keep up the work

Thanks man! Yeah I thought I was doing something wrong last night. Tried a hundred different things to make it upload photos but no go. Finally worked this afternoon though.

Lol....I was doing the same thing last night, it was really getting the best of me. I almost threw my iPad across the room..haha.

Anyways, welcome to the site Lucas. Keep them photos coming.

Thanks man! I got a little more work done on it tonight. I got the diamond plate cut out for the floor and I think I have finally designed something I am satisfied with on the fenders and how they flow into the deck. They really gave my engineering skills a work out. I had to break out some Trig functions on my calculator. :blink:

Anyways, I could still use some thoughts or ideas on the tounge for the trailer and the tail lights for it. Anyone have some input?

• 2 weeks later...