Model Cars Magazine Forum

WORK BENCH SATURDAYS!!

Jared Roach

After 4.5 years in the General section and over 173,000 views, why is this topic suddenly moved into Community Builds???

It was never in the General section, Skip. There are multiple people, not just one person, participating in this build topic and sharing their work. Isn't that what separates an individual member's build topic from a group or Community Build?

It was never in the General section, Skip. There are multiple people, not just one person, participating in this build topic and sharing their work. Isn't that what separates an individual member's build topic from a group or Community Build?

This isn't about building according to a communal theme. It's about what happens to be what folks are doing at/with their workbench on Saturday, for example rebuilding or reorganizing their workspace. What could be more general than that?.For myself I rely competely on "View New Content" and have it tagged to notify me for weekly updates. If it has always been in Community Builds I guess I never noticed because of the way I go about things (just too darn many categories for me...). But, unfortunately, for those members who rely on specific categories to find things I'm not sure it's terribly appropriate where it is. But... I guess there have been plenty of responses up to now. Just my opinion...

BTW, I think the notion of showing what's shaking on your workbench on a Saturday is very cool, and deserves to be different from describing My Workbench. I may disagree with Casey, but it definitely builds a sense of Community, wherever it may be found.

Edited by Bernard Kron

Well said, Bernard! I don't use the View New Content button at all, I like to go through these categories in "Old Fashioned" way. I have to say that my heart skipped a beat when I saw this thread had been moved to Community Builds, even if it's not a Community Build, just a thread to show what you're working on Saturdays, and that should definitely be in On The Workbench.

Well, no need to post any pics in this thread now, since I'm not going to take part in this "Community Build". ;):lol:

This isn't about building according to a communal theme. It's about what happens to be what folks are doing at/with their workbench on Saturday, for example rebuilding or reorganizing their workspace. What could be more general than that?

Hear, hear! The move is totally incorrect in my opinion.

Was there a good explanation? (maybe it could help the confused?)

TRUE CONFESSION ... my workbench is Armored Up! I've been drawn into a model of the Pershing Missile Erector-Launcher that I operated while in the Army 47 years ago. It's a rare model and I'm adding all the missing detail. I have a work-in-progress going at the Fine Scale Modeler forum if you're interested. Meanwhile, you can see my two 944's ... '84 and '91, '32 Ford, '69 VW Beetle and '81 Plymouth Reliant sitting in their boxes ... waiting. :)

workbench_DSC6269_zpsf7f986d9.jpg

workbench_DSC6270_zps0d86545a.jpg

I'm not complaining but, I am confused. All this time I thought Workbench Saturdays was under "on the workbench" instead of "general". How could I possibly miss that? :blink:

EDIT: Ok, now it's under "Community Builds". Working hard to chase it down nowadays. :lol:

Edited by Skydime

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just love when a plan comes together. Over the last couple years, me and painting just do not seem to get along. So I have this bottle of Cobra Colors paint that looks just about perfect for what I want in the bottle, of course, my own darn fault for not spraying a test piece, but on this little car to my eye there is now way too much metallic. I let it set over 24hr and come back, and it does not look too bad, passable for a quick out of the box build, so I go to shoot on some Cobra Colors clear. Now, the clear has lost some of it's pre-mixed thinner over time, so I add a touch more, and immediately I am spraying spider webs. ARGH! Now, I am only shooting around 10-12 PSI. SO I thin it up some more, and get it to where I can spray. Moving along OK, then Spatter. Crud build up in the tip sends a spit. Well, it is clear, and I think it will polish out OK, but this little bugger will be tough to get to all the areas. Here is where I am this morning.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

After over 40 years of marriage and 50 years of modemaking, my wife wanted the dining room table back, something about family coming over for Christmas dinner? So five years ago she helped me build this in the back garden...................................

87Gutteringdownpipesandbarrells_zpsabc3e

I've not been disturbed since.

Doubled glazed , lighting, heating and fully insulated just the job, for just £2,400!

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...