Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '60 Impala

Fisher61

Windows are not the biggest problem... I think that fitting interior and chassis to body... It's really tricky. But anyhow, nice job with the body, paintjob is very great and foiling looks good. Is this going to be stock or somekind of Custom? Really nice job so far. B)

Windows are not the biggest problem... I think that fitting interior and chassis to body... It's really tricky. But anyhow, nice job with the body, paintjob is very great and foiling looks good. Is this going to be stock or somekind of Custom? Really nice job so far. B)

Thanks for the comments everyone! I may go with custom wheels on this one, the wheelcovers in this kit are from the '59 Impala so not accurate! Also there are a lot of chassis issues that I addressed, I will post pics later today along with how I fixed them.

The chassis in this kit needs a lot of work. First issue is the rocker panels that hang down below the body. I sawed them off and thinned them until they matched the bottom of the body, then re-attached .

DSCN0057.jpg

Next was getting rid of the spare tire well that wasn't used in 1960. I cut it out, replaced with sheet styrene, then added the ribs to match the other side.

DSCN0055.jpg

The front wheel sit back to far compared to a 1:1 '60 Chevy, I cut off the the spindles and moved them forward 1/16th of an inch.

DSCN0058.jpg

These modifications should make for a more accurate chassis.

Excellent work William! Those changes You made sure add a lot of realism to the model. As a '60 Impala owner I've spent countless hours under one of these. If You need any assistance let me know. One item You missed on this though is You forgot to paint the part of the frame where the rear control arm attaches to the frame. There's a dimple in Revell's chassis plate between the rear frame horns(?) just ahead of the rear axle, where the rear control arm is supposed to be glued to.

There a drop dead gorgeous '60 Bel Air on ebay right now, if You should need any detailing tips. Here's the link for You : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190502090993&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AVRI

I am pretty sure the floor should be painted the way You did and not black. Although I've seen one unrestored example with grey primer underneath.

At the moment my 348 engine is at a machine shop getting new internals. Can't wait to get working on it.

I am watching this for sure. Keep up the good work !!

the wheelcovers in this kit are from the '59 Impala so not accurate!

Yes they are, and that's bad! But this kit is sharing some chrome parts with '59 Impala too, and these new Revell's kits from '60 Impala are having lowrider or too big wheels, Revell has not made stock wheelcovers to come with the kit. I think. How is it in Monogram's older kit, if I remember correctly, there is a full set of '60 Impala's wheelcovers? I just finished this kit and one thing is really mattering... Front tires are way too back, it's great that you fixed the problem.

Nice work with the chassis, that spare tire well, it's in my Impala and does look bad! But I have built the chassis for it long time ago and that's why I didn't remove it now when I came back to work with that model. Yours is looking great! :(

Excellent work William! Those changes You made sure add a lot of realism to the model. As a '60 Impala owner I've spent countless hours under one of these. If You need any assistance let me know. One item You missed on this though is You forgot to paint the part of the frame where the rear control arm attaches to the frame. There's a dimple in Revell's chassis plate between the rear frame horns(?) just ahead of the rear axle, where the rear control arm is supposed to be glued to.

There a drop dead gorgeous '60 Bel Air on ebay right now, if You should need any detailing tips. Here's the link for You : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190502090993&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AVRI

I am pretty sure the floor should be painted the way You did and not black. Although I've seen one unrestored example with grey primer underneath.

At the moment my 348 engine is at a machine shop getting new internals. Can't wait to get working on it.

I am watching this for sure. Keep up the good work !!

Thanks for pointing that frame detail out! It's been corrected now.

• 3 weeks later...