Model Cars Magazine Forum

’65 Coronet 500

Scale-Master

This is a replica of my second car. I only had it for a short while (two weeks) in the very early 80’s before it died from spun bearings. It was just basic transportation between “real” cars. It still had the original paint, gold with a black top, (painted, not vinyl). Well, at least it had never been repainted…

The model was built in less than 10 hours yesterday from start to finish, (once the factory pre-paint was stripped the day before). I made the proper license plates and added whitewalls, the rest is out-of-the-box. I did have to install the rear of the chassis up near the deck lid to get it to sit somewhere even near the real one though.

Tamiya Gold was aged and faded with SNJ aluminum powder and other body/paint weathering was done with gray through the airbrush. The chassis, underhood and interior were grunged up with earthen colored acrylic washes. All the chrome trim was freehand painted, some with a paint pen, some with a brush.

I know this Polar Lights kit has a bad rap, but since the real one I had was so rough, and I didn’t really care about it and it worked well for this quickie build. Mine was a 383 2bbl with a 727 trans, the kit has a 426. Since it was only going to be curbside it is fine with me, but I put the engine in anyway, it’s not like it is worth saving for another project…

DSC01700.jpg

DSC01702.jpg

DSC01703.jpg

DSC01701.jpg

DSC01704.jpg

DSC01705.jpg

DSC01706.jpg

DSC01707.jpg

DSC01708.jpg

Here are a couple shots of the real one from when I had it after its first and only wash I gave it.

DSC01699.jpg

Note the white ’70 Trans Am behind it…

Edited by Scale-Master

• 3 weeks later...