Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bus kit from Revell Germany in the future ?

Yesterday I wrote an e-mail to
Ulrich Taubert, Head of the Product development of Revell Germany
asking for a Greyhound Scenicruiser bus kit:

I told him that - after the great London bus - this would be a big hit, especially among the American modelers and that the pic is a photoshop compilation which I found on the Internet - who else, if not Revell would offer such a kit (who would have thought some years ago that we would see a detailed London bus kit in 1/24 scale?) ?

The success of the London bus obviously initiated Heller's reissue of their old citybus from Paris!

43-vi.jpg
Best wishes
Helmut Müllner
(Plastic modeler since 1969)

This is what he wrote back (first german, then translated into English):

Hallo, Herr Müllner,

haben Sie recht herzlichen Dank für die Mail und das wunderbare Schachtelbild. Es ist wirklich ein hervorragender Vorschlag. Bereits nach dem Neoplan hatten wir eine Welle an neuen Vorschlägen ausgelöst, das daraus entstandene Folgemodell ist ebenso erfolgreich gelaufen. Ihr Vorschlag ist super, wobei ich einen Gegenvorschlag machen würde: einen typischen gelben US-Schulbus, was würden Sie davon halten?

Wie auch immer, es ist sicherlich so, dass wir natürlich nicht in jedem Jahr mit einem derart großen und somit auch kostspieligen Projekt aufwarten können. Ich bin aber sicher, dass es nur eine Frage der Zeit ist, wann das nächste Großprojekt realisiert wird, lassen Sie sich einfach überraschen.

Mit den besten Grüßen

Revell GmbH

Ulli Taubert

Leiter Produkt-Entwicklung

MY TRANSLATION
:

Hallo, Mr. Müllner,

many thanks for your mail and the wonderful box-art picture. It really is an excellent proposal.

Immediately after the release of our Neoplan (modern Cityliner bus) we got a lot of proposals, the resulting following model (London doubledecker bus) also has run very successfully.

Your proposal is super, however I would like to make a proposal to you: what would you think of a typically yellow American schoolbus?

Anyway, it certainly is not possible for us to come out every year with such a big and very costly project. But I'm quite sure that it only is a matter of time, when the next big project will be realised - you will be surprised.

With best wishes

Revell GmbH/Ulli Taubert

Head of Product development

What do you think, guys?

So it looks like there could be more to come...

Let's keep our fingers crossed !!!

Actually, there's nothing "typical" about an American school bus; they're all very different. In fact every community around here runs different busses. Now, that being said, I still think it would sell well.

What about a GMC Rapid Transit Series bus or a GMC New Look bus? Those things are everywhere!

Actually, there's nothing "typical" about an American school bus

Having a look on Google, I can see what you mean, but this side of the pond, if you mention an American school bus, we usually think of the big yellow bonneted bus, I had the chance to go on one in the mid 90's when I was in Iowa visiting an airshow, because of the floods there no parking on the show ground, and there was a shuttle bus running from the college to the showground, one of the buses was the bonneted Bluebird bus .... it was a bit on the bouncy side, but something that I would never get the chance to do over here ....

If Revell brought one out, I would certainly buy one, (or two)

post-2058-0-59387400-1360343099_thumb.jp

The Scenicruiser would be a good choice. It is a classic American symbol and it definitely would sell.

I think the school bus would be a bad choice. As far as the majority of big truck modelers, it is not a major requested subject. If anyone would want it, the target market would be car modelers. What they want it for is to put 1/16th model truck wheels on the real wheels, a hot rod engine in it and turn it in to a rail dragster. Not a serious commercial vehicle subject.

What I would like is a modern highway coach such as a Prevost.

GREYHOUND%20NEOCLASSIC%20BUS%20SKYLINE.J

1960s International with a Thomas body! Aside from school buses the US Military used these all over the world so people around the globe have seen these. I was a military brat and rode these to school in Air Force Blue, Army Green and Navy Gray! The one below is in Europe and no doubt was US Military surplus sold abroad. (Check eBay Germany, there's a bunch of old US army trucks there!)

IHCbus4-vi.jpg

I would Love to see the SceniCruiser, or GMC Fishbowl 40 footer.

I rode one of those Fish-Bowls almost every day from Neville Island to Downtown

in 79-80.

For School bus, How about an Old Crown Firecoach built???

Fire Buff builders would love that, it would give them the cab front for Many Crown Pumpers & trucks!

On second thought, I think RoG is seriously thinking about or has already considered make a school bus.

Why?

RoG has been partnering with Moebius and offering the Lonestar and Prostar in Europe. Moebius has established a track record of offering International trucks and who is the larger producer of school buses in the US?

On second thought, I think RoG is seriously thinking about or has already considered make a school bus.

Why?

RoG has been partnering with Moebius and offering the Lonestar and Prostar in Europe. Moebius has established a track record of offering International trucks and who is the larger producer of school buses in the US?

Good point

"Your proposal is super, however I would like to make a proposal to you: what would you think of a typically yellow American schoolbus?"

I think this would be a huge seller.

If it looks like the one Tom Ellifrit made from Scratch, it would be!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

When I think school bus I think Crown, but they had a huge corner on the market in California. There were a lot of school buses built on transit style buses too, Gilligs, GMs etc and those would certainly have a wide audience.

The cutaway chassis style school bus could easily be the basis for a lot of other projects, prison bus, church bus, minor league sports team transporter, band bus, river rafter hauler, converted mobile home etc.

If they did an IH I'd buy at least one to do as an Expeditors bus, they are a contract company that hauls fire crews all over the west every year.

OC21.jpg

Edited by Aaronw

I'd love to see one of the early to mid 60's Continental Trailways Golden Eagles - or at least a Silver Eagle! My grandfather owned a bus depot for 50+ years, and I'd love to see one of the major builders tackle it. I guess I still have a bios against the "dog"...one of the reasons I've gotten back into building has been considering scratch building an Eagle - I have spent quite a bit of time looking over this site and a couple other scratch build sites for ideas. I actually got a few GREAT ideas from a fire apparatus site earlier tonight...between that and then (coincidentally) seeing the bus thread here, I might have to start building...

Don't forget all the customizing you can do with a School bus.

If they tool up a larger, Maximum size version those get modified a Lot as they are retired from service.

I have seen pictures of many, and even seen a few that have had part of the bus body removed

along with the interior, and a deck put in its place to carry race cars or even customs to shows.

And Even these can be converted into Motor-Homes!!

I just wish they would do the correct year Chevy/GMC so we could make The Partridge Family bus,

or the Ambulance Buses from M*A*S*H!!

Or were those Fords??

• 2 weeks later...

I just wish there were a way to get the aluminum panels that were used on the old MC8s (greyhounds) and Silver and Golden Eagles (Trailways). I don't think it would be TOO hard to fab the bus, but the detail on those panels would be really tough to do. I've seen suggestions of doing it w/ decals (wouldn't have the relief I'm looking for) and gluing small ribs of styrene to flat panels. My family was in the bus industry, so I'd love to see someone do one of those old highway cruisers...

Gee Bee about the mid 90's 2000 Blue bird started using air ride. Guessing the bag were set too low. that would have a bit of a bounce.

being a truck builder I love too have a bus as well. Silver Eagle :wub: ,Scenicruiser :D or even a Prevost :blink: will do. {I read that I'm not the only one here.} 16 or 17 first bus I ever drove was a model 10 Eagle been hooked since.

I been doing research too on building a Eagle. I'm thinking off hand use the panels form a old amt greatdane or even the 48 foot reeffer trailer.,there kind of close maybe a good start. getting a idea of the frame and drive train is the hard part and shaping the curves,like the front,roof and back-end.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you see the other one he has??

And the Slide in Camper??

He states these were Laser cut/etched.

I would love to try for one, but.......................

They are Modern, (Are they Actual replica's?) and of course the Big problem.................

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Count me among those that would buy a few school bus kits if they decide to model one. My preferences would be these:

Pics taken off the web and are in order of what I'd like to see made. I drove a school bus for a while but there is a lot you could do with one besides the chrome yellow student pick up and delivery vehicle

post-10866-0-03887400-1364140797_thumb.j

post-10866-0-99990600-1364140820_thumb.j