Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's the ''Water-based chrome sysyem" you invested in?

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Hi Simon :lol:

It's a commercial system, that when you're done costs several thousands of $$$$ to set up, but gives beautiful results, and I get to choose the quality, not depend on someone else.

I also get to have all the fun of doing it myself.

Just a personality quirk :lol:B) .

Excuse my ignorance but I have a question about Alclad. Is it a "paint" or something else? I keep getting hearing problems, special handling, coatings, etc. when people talk about it implying to me that it is something different.

Most of what I build is not shiny so I have never asked before but this would be the perfect time to get educated.

John

I found this Simon while snooping around on my fotki sites.This was at the '07 GSL-XXI,I thought you might want to see what it looks like.

IMG_9678-vi.jpg

And the little write up Dave did.

IMG_9690-vi.jpg

Hey, you found it ;) .

That's the sample I sprayed up, and took to the GSL, and displayed it there.

Wayne Stevens, who is one of the member's here, took the picture's, and posted them. Wayne and I are really good friend's, so after the show, I gave it to him as a gift, as he had left our SABA Club in Portland, and moved to Florida, so he and his wife could care for his wife's ailing mom. Wayne and Jill are VERY COOL PEOPLE.

Thanks for posting it - Dave :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Two quick questions. Can you use it over Future and can you use future over it. I am thinking should be no probklem? However I do my futurem 3 parts future to one part mean green and it grabs a terrific shine! Thinking this would help give a deap tone tot eh alclad chrome, then the future over it would make it very bright and shiny? Thanks. Jody

I've never had any real good luck with Alclad I tried a product called Spaz Stix, for me it has never let me down. This stuff is fantastic, can be cleared and taped, I never was able to do that with Alclad with out affecting the finish. It comes in a 1oz jar or a rattle can and it about 2/3 the cost of Alclad.

Dave your product looks awesome, sounds like to still have some refinning issue to handle though. Spaz Stix resaults are very similar to your product, although I much rather use yours seeing as it is water based. Any plans on bring it to market?

Two quick questions. Can you use it over Future and can you use future over it. I am thinking should be no probklem? However I do my futurem 3 parts future to one part mean green and it grabs a terrific shine! Thinking this would help give a deap tone tot eh alclad chrome, then the future over it would make it very bright and shiny? Thanks. Jody

Hey Jody :(

I've never had any real good luck spraying anything over Alclad, including Future.

Everything tones it down.

I've got models 7-8 years old with Alclad on them, and just as shiny and nice as the day I sprayed it.

Temperature, technique and timing make all the difference.

Mine doesn't wear off with minor handling, and there's no clear coat of any kind.

Edited by Treehugger Dave

Well, I have a bottle left here, but hesitant to use it again as when I used alclad on a t bucket I was building, when I went to put the suspension on it, the Alclad wore off. Three times I have resprayed it only for the same thing to happen. Itg discouraged me soo much, then I boxed the model and all it needs is the suspension finished!! LOL. Jody

Well, I have a bottle left here, but hesitant to use it again as when I used alclad on a t bucket I was building, when I went to put the suspension on it, the Alclad wore off. Three times I have resprayed it only for the same thing to happen. Itg discouraged me soo much, then I boxed the model and all it needs is the suspension finished!! LOL. Jody

Hey Jody ;)

Try spraying your black, wait an hour, then shoot your Alclad.

The Alclad needs To "BITE" into the paint before it's totally dry, so it won't wear off as easily when you can handle it.

Also, what guy's don't take seriously enough, is that to get the optimum results, at least for me, they are certain steps that need to be followed.

(1) Spray a like-brand clear over your black. This gives depth for the chrome to 'DAZZLE" <_< .

"LIGHT REFRACTION" plays a huge role in the finished appearance of Alclad type finishes (There are others).

A diamond sparkles because it had depth and clarity - same with Alclad when you use clear, and it's GLOSSY.

Same with candies and metal-flakes. I always clear over the candy base color of silver or gold, or the flake, before I shoot the color - GIVES WAY MORE DAZZLE ;) . Allows the light to bounce around in the clear before it reflects back to your eye.

(2)

Alclad LOVES WARMTH ;)

I shoot mine at 80 degrees and it can be handled really well in an hour. Brush the fine particles off with a fine make-up brush for a much nicer finished appearance.

If you can't shoot yours at that temp, try using a food dehydrator if you have one, or wait a minimum of a week to dry before handling - IT MUST BE DRY, AND IT NEEDS THAT INITIAL BITE not to wear off easily - GOTTA HAVE BOTH ;) .

• 4 weeks later...