Model Cars Magazine Forum

If you have a dremmel I want to hear from ya!

This past weekend I had to buy a dremmel for something I needed to fix in my house. Well after I was done with the project I remembered that a lot o of you guys use them for model projects. I had a few scraps laying around. I decided to learn

The tool. I didn't have much luck I did succeed at melting plastic. I had the tool on it's lowest setting which claims it's 8000rpm. My question is what sort of bits do you'll use. Do you have any tips that will lesson my learning curve?

A complete Dremel KIT, not just the tool itself, usually come with a carry case and assorted bits and burrs. Get you an old kit, an practice. It takes a bit to get used to them, they are a VERY usefull tool, and once you do, you'll find ALL kindsa uses for that rascal, ESPECIALLY if you do alot of resin kits.

8,000 seems really high rpms. like most power tools there's a bunch of things which contribute to successful application.

tool speed and rate of feed come to mind. next you need to select the cutting bit most suited to the task. George is right = practice.

i honestly don't use mine too much, but it does come in handy on occasion. i also made a gadget to hold the handpiece so i could turn something - i'll have to try it out some day!

Edited by southpier

Diamond disk for cutting and trimming(the brown ceramic break too easy),

and a small barrel sander(get different grits),are my go to attachments.

A small 3/8th wrench for changing out attachments(works better than the

flat supplied wrench.

I use my Dremel a lot! I've gone through several of them in 40 years of building R/C planes and model cars. The brown cutting disks are my "torch" for cutting model car frames, etc. Got to be careful - they will shatter if they bind up! I've had two speed controls for the Dremels. Both have failed. They have become on/off switches - no speed controlling. Kind of a disappointment, since the tools themselves are bulletproof.

Sam

Just rebuilt mine and it works better than new. The speed control was always sticky....now it isn't. Best thing you can do is practice on junk. Even the low speed on the corded version will melt plastic, but you'll get the knack of cutting clean after a bit. The cutter discs are indeed somewhat fragile, but after a while you learn how to put it down gently.

You just can't have too many attachments, cutters, grinders, etc. I found a set of diamond bits for $12 in a hardware store in Az......great for very fine shaping around wondows on top-chops. It's amazing how precise you'll get with it in time.....surgical. BUT don't try to polish paint with the corded version without the foot control. It's entirely too fast and will melt the paint.

It WILL polish alloy rims or other metal parts spectacularly.

If you want to chop a Top or section a body this works out well. Take the Sanding/Cutting Disks and stack them with broken ones as spacers. This combo works out to a 1/25 scale 3" cut and as long as you have a steady hand the cuts will be parallel!

Clever idea! I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!