Model Cars Magazine Forum

Priming And Painting. Help Please!!!

Hello fellow model builders. I would like some advice on which primers and spray paints to use on 1:24 or 1:25 plastic model cars. I work for NAPA auto parts, and we have a variety of primers and paints.We even have Krylons "Fusion" spray paint which they "Say" requires no priming. A dear friend requested that I build a kit that he sent me for Christmas. It needs primed and painted, as do several other kits that I want to eventually build. I didn't want to start this kit from my friend, but in light of a recent death in his family, I am thinking about starting it sooner now rather than later.It would mean a lot to him (and me) if I could start and complete this kit in the not to distant future. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you one and all!!!

Todd :angry::lol:

Primer is always a good idea. The Krylon Fusion paints need a primer under them. I bought a can of it and did the sprue test before spraying the body and sure enough, it crazed the plastic. I use Plastikote and Tamiya primers exclusively and haven't had any problems yet. Some paints need a sealer primer or Future floor wax laid down first as a barrier because they are that hot they will craze through the primer too. One of the sealer primers is Shellac BIN. I haven't used it or the Future. Others on here have and I'll leave that to them. Hope this is a good start! :angry: