Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dumb Question About Tenax

LVZ2881

how do you apply this stuff?? just bought some, but have never used it before..

its too thin for a toothpick...

do you use some kind of applicator, or a brush??

I just use a small brush. You need a good natrual hair brush otherwise the cheapy brush fall apart with Tenax, METHYLENE CHLORIDE or dichloromethane CH2Cl2. and Not MEK (Methel Ethyl Ketone) CH3COCH2CH3 like everyone thinks. I don't clean it when I am done and have been using the same brush for Tenax for years. It will get hard just dip it back in the Tenax before using it and it will soften back up in a few seconds. There are some special applicators for the stuff, but I never used them. I think I even have a bunch somewhere. They are little bendable sticks with a fuzz at the tip.

You'll like it; it's become my welder "glue" of choice. I still use Testors liquid, too for bigger jobs, filling gaps, and other specialty uses where you just can't hold the parts together long enough to Tenax to set. That is the secret trick, is you need to be able to firmly hold the parts together for 10 seconds or so. However, the other cool thing is you can hold the parts together and just brush Tenax on the seam and it will "wick" in the crack, and if you get it just right no filler needed. Sand smooth and you're done.

The cap from the Proweld (comes with the brush) fits the Tenax bottle. All I did was cut down the plastic tube accordingly. Since the Proweld bottle is bigger I stopped buying Tenax since the prices are the same at my LHS. Is there any appreciable difference between Tenax and Proweld?

Bob

Is there any appreciable difference between Tenax and Proweld?

Bob

Bob, I give the nod for Ambroid Pro Weld over Tenax for one reason.............Longevity!

I hate how Tenac evaporates so quickly over time, while my bottle of Pro Weld seems to hang on forever if I don't use it. The strength properties are about the same, but I like the larger size of the Pro Weld as well since it's my primary glue of choice, particularly for bodywork.

I've used the stuff for years by applying it with one of those cheapo brushes that come with Testors bottle paint sets (they have black bristles, and a white handle). Got a few that I've trimmed for "tight spaces." If they get hard, I just roll the bristle end in my fingers and it just flakes off.

Got to try the glass applicator though...

TK