Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Original 1962-issue Revell '56 Ford Pickup box with parts from various issues inside, but I was only after the box. :wub:

rev56fordpuc62.jpg

I also picked up a set of wheels from the Monogram '85 T/A and the optional "Nugget" wheels from the '80s issue of the 1/24 Monogram '85 Monte Carlo SS kit.

Didn't actually get it today, but recently and I haven't posted anything about it. BUT . . .

I scored a holy grail a couple of weeks ago for an outrageously generous bargain price. Out of respect for the usual pricing most people pay, I'm not even going to say how little I paid. But, I digress.

The important thing is ... I've yearned for one of these for decades. The kit was issued once. Once. In 1972. Only. (In this configuration.)

AMT T-510. The GMC Astro 95 TURBINE tractor.

GMC_Astro_95_AMT_T510.jpg

{Image borrowed from IPMS Archives.}

Mine is in mint condition, all parts present in sealed bags. Even the one-time-only decal sheet is perfect and useable.

There's a story behind this kit. If any of the acknowledged experts or historians know differently, please chime in. But from what I understand, it goes like this:

In the early to mid '70s, GM was experimenting with gas turbine engines as motive power for buses and OTR semi tractors, in an effort to develop a more fuel efficient power source for big trucks. They built a fleet of turbine-powered semi-tractors that GM used for new car and parts delivery vehicles, as well as test mules. AMT tooled up the Chevrolet Titan 90 and GMC Astro 95 kits in 1972, and included a replica of the turbine engine in the T-510 GMC kit (It also included the Detroit Diesel, so you could build the truck either way).

It didn't take more than a couple of years for GM to realize the gas turbines were not showing big gains in fuel economy, so they bailed out of the much-ballyhooed program. I believe they immediately cancelled AMT's licensing agreement for the Turbine engine and GM Experimental Truck markings (included on the decal sheet).

So, by the time any subsequent reissues of the kits were marketed, the turbine engines, decals, and references were gone. The one and only time the turbines were marketed was 1972.

When you see this rare kit available, it usually goes for BIG bucks.

I had that kit as a kid....loved the turbine engine VERY COOL!!!!!!

I stopped by my LHS on the way home tonight and found this on the shelf as a consignment for $5. All there, so I couldn't pass it up.

IMAG0203.jpg

IMAG0204.jpg

They also had the AMT 59 Vette for the same price but I could do without it.

Later-

Built this kit Tom and painted it apple red and it is a great kit no problems....

Didn't actually get it today, but recently and I haven't posted anything about it. BUT . . .

I scored a holy grail a couple of weeks ago for an outrageously generous bargain price. Out of respect for the usual pricing most people pay, I'm not even going to say how little I paid. But, I digress.

The important thing is ... I've yearned for one of these for decades. The kit was issued once. Once. In 1972. Only. (In this configuration.)

AMT T-510. The GMC Astro 95 TURBINE tractor.

GMC_Astro_95_AMT_T510.jpg

{Image borrowed from IPMS Archives.}

Mine is in mint condition, all parts present in sealed bags. Even the one-time-only decal sheet is perfect and useable.

There's a story behind this kit. If any of the acknowledged experts or historians know differently, please chime in. But from what I understand, it goes like this:

In the early to mid '70s, GM was experimenting with gas turbine engines as motive power for buses and OTR semi tractors, in an effort to develop a more fuel efficient power source for big trucks. They built a fleet of turbine-powered semi-tractors that GM used for new car and parts delivery vehicles, as well as test mules. AMT tooled up the Chevrolet Titan 90 and GMC Astro 95 kits in 1972, and included a replica of the turbine engine in the T-510 GMC kit (It also included the Detroit Diesel, so you could build the truck either way).

It didn't take more than a couple of years for GM to realize the gas turbines were not showing big gains in fuel economy, so they bailed out of the much-ballyhooed program. I believe they immediately cancelled AMT's licensing agreement for the Turbine engine and GM Experimental Truck markings (included on the decal sheet).

So, by the time any subsequent reissues of the kits were marketed, the turbine engines, decals, and references were gone. The one and only time the turbines were marketed was 1972.

When you see this rare kit available, it usually goes for BIG bucks.

What an awsume score Danno, l have been hopeing it gets reissued..

Built this kit Tom and painted it apple red and it is a great kit no problems....

Great to hear. I've looked at it many times over the years but this is the first time I have owned it. Looks detailed well enough. The only trouble I see is the chrome is a bit thin in places but may be fine with a blackwash.

Later-

I picked this up today for £20.00 ($32.00).

DSCF4995640x480_zps172249bc.jpg

I'd never seen one before so I couldn't let the opportunity pass me by. The same vendor also had a couple of other Jo-Han kits at the same price, a '70 Olds 442 and a Mercury Comet 429 Boss Pro Street so I might be going back to spend a bit more.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...