Model Cars Magazine Forum

Roger, you are the Man! I love your badge idea. I had been thinking about carving them out of aluminum. Your way will be so much easier. I'll have to look at that bumper and see how much plastic is there. To be totally accurate, I would not only have to remove the trim, but also cut a channel in the bumper where the trim is attached. You're probably right, it would bug me every time I looked at it if I don't fix it, but I'm not ready to commit yet. ;) Thanks for your help.

To be totally accurate, I would not only have to remove the trim, but also cut a channel in the bumper where the trim is attached.

Wow Hugh, I'm glad I started watching this thread, I'm going to have the same problem with my front bumper for my F350!!

HPIM1539.jpg

I'm really interested to see how yours turns out!

Wow Hugh, I'm glad I started watching this thread, I'm going to have the same problem with my front bumper for my F350!!

I'm really interested to see how yours turns out!

AAARRRGGH! The "peer group pressure" is killin' me! Tell you what Matthew, you go first. I wanna see how yours turns out! :rolleyes:;) Seriously, I looked at the bumper, and it does look like there's enough plastic there. Now, how to cut a perfectly straight channel of exactly even depth. :o If this was a piece of furniture I'd have the router out and be done by now.

AAARRRGGH! The "peer group pressure" is killin' me! Tell you what Matthew, you go first. I wanna see how yours turns out! :rolleyes:;) Seriously, I looked at the bumper, and it does look like there's enough plastic there. Now, how to cut a perfectly straight channel of exactly even depth. :o If this was a piece of furniture I'd have the router out and be done by now.

Ha, just be glad you don't have to do all the other mods to make mine right, including making the engine look like a diesel, if you couldn't tell that by the electric cord going in the grille in the pic!! :o Talk about pressure!! :lol: I think I might have come up with an idea, though, I'll try it (hopefully) soon and let you know how it works, and if it doesn't, I'll need to find a new bumper! :lol:

Ha, just be glad you don't have to do all the other mods to make mine right, including making the engine look like a diesel

Are you starting with the F250, or is there something closer for the frame and such? You would definitely have a ton of mods with the F250. Just going from 4x2 coil spring twin I beam front end to solid differential, leaf springs would be a model all by itself!

Are you starting with the F250, or is there something closer for the frame and such? You would definitely have a ton of mods with the F250. Just going from 4x2 coil spring twin I beam front end to solid differential, leaf springs would be a model all by itself!

No, I'm starting with the F350, since you can't really tell from the bumper pic I posted that mine is a dually,

HPIM2938.jpg

BUT, they are still the same kit with the exception of the bed sides and wheels! B) What was even more fun was my frame, because I had to cut my cab just like you did, but my frame is a chassis cab, the previous owner was the owner of a towing company I worked for, and he told me it was an old wrecker in its former life. He put a regular dually bed on it when it was rebuilt, and that and the chassis cab frame results in a 6 inch gap between the bed and cab.

Oh, and not only do I have to build front leaf springs, I have to build the massive 15 leaf rear springs too!! The kit's rear springs just might become my front springs!! :lol:

I haven't done anything on mine since late April, but if you want to see what a pain I have ahead of me, here's a link to my WIP.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=43025&st=0

I checked it out, you have my deepest sympathy! B) Looks like you're well on the way, tho. I'll be following your build.

Just don't follow too closely, you might fall asleep as slow as I build!! :lol:

To be totally accurate, I would not only have to remove the trim, but also cut a channel in the bumper where the trim is attached. yet.

I was thinking that you could use the bumper strip as a guide and score a line to go by for the recess,but the strip looks like it is quite a bit wider than the recess. Since you have the real truck handy,you can measure it and see if that would work.

I was thinking that you could use the bumper strip as a guide and score a line to go by for the recess,but the strip looks like it is quite a bit wider than the recess. Since you have the real truck handy,you can measure it and see if that would work.

Actually Roger, I think the strip and the recess is the same size. I was comparing the pics of the kit box I posted last night to a better pic of the bumper of my 1:1 in my WIP thread that is close to the same angle as the boxart pic, and it looks like the kit's bumper strip is the same size. I think here shortly I'm going to get the kit bumper out and check for sure. :D

Oh, Hugh, I noticed one other thing that would have to be modified on the bumper if you don't have this, the rubber air dam underneath. It looks like you don't have that just like I don't, but the kit bumper does! :rolleyes:

Guys, I measured the kit bumper and my 1:1. The strip on the kit bumper scales out at 3", the recess on the 1:1 about 1-1/2". Matthew, I do have the air dam on my truck. It's hard to see in the pic. I wish cutting that off was the only problem we had.

Guys, I measured the kit bumper and my 1:1. The strip on the kit bumper scales out at 3", the recess on the 1:1 about 1-1/2". Matthew, I do have the air dam on my truck. It's hard to see in the pic. I wish cutting that off was the only problem we had.

Well, if you have the air dam, you don't have to worry about it! :D

Thanks for the measurements, too, I just am too lazy to have done that yet! :D I guess that shoots my original idea I had last night of using the strip as a guide to cut the bumper and just add a strip of styrene in its place to make the recess. :rolleyes: Back to the drawing board!! ;)

Roger, I admit you've got me thinking about it. I'm positive I would never get it as good as it needs to be freehand. I am pondering some tools I could make that might make it possible. I'm gonna do some R&D. I'll let you know how I do.

After a little thinking on the subject,this is what I would do to the bumper. Sand the rub strip off,then glue some 1/16 rod on the top of the bumper and scale 1 1/2" below it. Sand the rods down to where they give you the depth of the recess,then feather them out with some putty. I think that would be easier than trying to sand the recess into it.

Thanks, Roger. I did make the decals. I took a photo of my 1:1 tailgate and photoshopped it a little. Still no work on that bumper, I'm definitely procrastinating on that one!

Hey basher, I've been thinking about your front bumper situation. Here's how I think I would tackle this. Where the molding runs across the front, place a piece of tape at the top and bottom of the molding. Then take a miter saw, at the tape line on the top of the molding, and cut the top of the bumper off. Do the same at the bottom of the molding at the tape line. So your making two cuts. Your bumper will be in three pieces. With the molding cut out, take the top of the bumper and the bottom of the bumper and glue a strip of styreen at the back of them to join them together at the same distance apart as if the molding was there. That will give you that channel look. Then all you'll have to do is some putty and paint.

Hope this helps. Like I said, this is how I would go about it. I hope you can follow what I'm trying to say. I can put some pics together if you want to help aid in my description.

Hey Bill. I think your bumper idea is the same as what Matthew (highway) was considering. The problem we face is that the molding on the bumper is twice as wide as the channel, so using it as a cutting guide will not work. Thanks for thinking about it, tho, somehow this is going to get fixed!

Hey Bill. I think your bumper idea is the same as what Matthew (highway) was considering. The problem we face is that the molding on the bumper is twice as wide as the channel, so using it as a cutting guide will not work. Thanks for thinking about it, tho, somehow this is going to get fixed!

Yeah Bill, it was like you were in my mind, that was my idea that went out the window when Hugh said the channel was not as wide as the rub strip.

I don't know about you Hugh, but I say we go to the junkyard and see if we can get the kit bumper for our 1:1s, it would save us a lot of bloody hassle!!! :lol::P

Thanks, Roger. I did make the decals. I took a photo of my 1:1 tailgate and photoshopped it a little. Still no work on that bumper, I'm definitely procrastinating on that one!

That was a great idea Hugh! I may have to hire you to make me a set of those. I'm thinking about modifying a front bumper for myself just to see if I can do it. :lol: You and Bill have got me wanting to start on another F150 project! I surely don't need to start another one. I'm gonna have to quit watching these threads! :D

I've got it covered, Matthew. There's an '88 Bronco sitting in my shed that has that bumper on it! :lol:

It was pretty easy, Roger. I have "Photoshop Elements", which came with my scanner, and is kinda like Photoshop "lite", but it is good enough to turn a photo into a decal right quick. Course that doesn't count the hours I spent trying to figure out how to work it! Don't quit watching this thread! I need your input.

Well..... You could sand off the rubber like stated earlier. Than cut the section of bumper out that's needed and still glue a strip behind it. Just trying to help.

As far as going to the junk yard and pulling a bumper...... your opening a whole nother can of worms!! :) I've been down that road. Tryed to hand wrench a rear bumper off at a junk yard for my fathers truck. Needless to say, we left with out a bumper!