Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hasegawa '58 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa!!!!!

larrygre

AARRGGHH!!!! Just after I pre-ordered mine, HLJ stopped taking pre-orders and have a little note explaining. Somehow, I fear my pre-order will not be filled...... :(

If there was any doubt this was going to be a blockbuster hit.......

Come on Hasegawa, step up!

AARRGGHH!!!! Just after I pre-ordered mine, HLJ stopped taking pre-orders and have a little note explaining. Somehow, I fear my pre-order will not be filled...... :(

Don't worry over it; that happens pretty often on HLJ for popular new subjects. They'll eventually be able to fill orders, and this is a good sign that this kit will be very popular. As long as they got your preorder, you'll get the kit. Maybe not in the first batch. Revell AG has had trouble keeping up production of the Audi R10 and R8. Companies just don't do huge runs of kits anymore.

Preorder it through Tower Hobbies.

Tower Hobbies - Hasagawa

I have two on preorder.

Good Luck

Ouch! why is it so expensive there? I got mine pre-ordered through HLJ for about 7 dollars cheaper. even after shipping they are cheaper than Tower's before shipping cost.

US retail of the Testa Rossa is $45.95, so Tower is offering a decent discount. Basically models bought directly from Japan are sold there for what amounts to the US wholesale price. I don't know why that's the case, but it's pretty typical. Tamiya kits like the FXX are 4000 yen; well under $40, while retail is about $60. US kits in Japan are ridiculously overpriced too.

US retail of the Testa Rossa is $45.95, so Tower is offering a decent discount. Basically models bought directly from Japan are sold there for what amounts to the US wholesale price. I don't know why that's the case, but it's pretty typical. Tamiya kits like the FXX are 4000 yen; well under $40, while retail is about $60. US kits in Japan are ridiculously overpriced too.

I guess that makes sense. If I had known how good a deal I was getting I would have pre-ordered more than three, and flipped a few on ebay! ;);)

AARRGGHH!!!! Just after I pre-ordered mine, HLJ stopped taking pre-orders and have a little note explaining. Somehow, I fear my pre-order will not be filled...... :blink:

I was on HLJ today and I see that the model and wheels are available for preorder again. No worries ;)

I noticed that too earlier today. I immediately pre-ordered and this time I got the confirmation email so it's good this time around. The price however is the regular of 3000 yen instead of the special which I think was 2800. No big deal, I think that's about $3 difference.

Thanks,

I did my duty and preordered one. So don't blame me if the model is a disappointment in the sales department.

This Scott and his lads from HLJ seem to be quite well off with what I pay them lately. Check out the palace he's built recently.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

As reported in the General section, the long awaited and much anticipated Hasegawa's Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa is making its way to workbenches across the world. While not a comprehensive review, here is a quick look at it as a first glance:

DSCF1979-vi.jpg

Hasegawa Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa

135 parts

Plastic molded in white, black plated parts and clear

This is one of the most recognizable vintage Ferraris of all time and many consider it to be the most beautiful and/or the most important of its era. However, for some unknown reason, there had never been a mainstream plastic model kit of it in our 1/24 - 1/25 scale. Companies like Model Factory Hiro has multimedia kits of this subject, but they are out of reach (read expensive) for many modelers.

Well, our prayers have been answered and Hasegawa stepped up to the plate.

I haven't done any detailed measurements or reference comparisons but the body proportions look to be spot on. The body is molded in white plastic. Some mold lines need to be worked but nothing major. Panel lines can use some deepening. Overall, while not Tamiya crisp the body is very nice. In my copy a very small sink mark in the inner fender is the only "flaw" I see so far, and it's very easy to correct.

The most recognizable feature of this car is the pontoon fenders. These are molded separately. Test fitting mine, I noticed that it will take some fiddling to make them fit properly. In my copy, the driver's side fender fits a bit better than the passenger side.

The hood fits very snugly and tight, but the air intake is molded in. That's a no-no for me and it has to be opened.

DSCF1980-vi.jpg

DSCF1982-vi.jpg

DSCF1983-vi.jpg

DSCF1987-vi.jpg

The rest of the parts look very crisp. The exhaust tips are molded open. That will save me a lot of machining time.

When Hasegawa announced they were going to release photoetch wheels for this kit at the same time, I thought they were admitting the wheels in the kit were not good. But to my surprise, the molded wheels are very nice and can easily find their way into other projects.

DSCF1988-vi.jpg

The windshield seems to be a bit on the thick side. The instructions look clear but I don't see any indications on racing numbers roundels locations. The seatbelts are hopeless decals.

My personal conclusion is: Hasegawa aimed at Tamiya, hits Fujimi and that is a good thing. While I haven't done any assembly (which is the final judge) I highly recommeded this kit based on what I see.

Thanks,

Edited by ismaelg

I'm reading on another board that the first run is already sold out. Hope they will do another one!

Dave

Trust me, they will! I'd rather see it sell out and need additional production runs vs. seeing it ignored. This kit proves that taking a risk is worth it, if done correctly. First is subject matter, second is making it accessible. Let the aftermarket companies provide the high-dollar super-detailing trinkets. The best model kits these days have sufficient detail OOB, making them actually buildable vs. intimidating. It's a fine balance, for sure. I hope we see more kits like this. There's still some low-hanging fruit out there like this that doesn't have to be done only by the aftermarket.

I'm reading on another board that the first run is already sold out. Hope they will do another one!

Dave

Awww Geez..............I preordered mine back around New Years day from Hannant's. :rolleyes: I hope theirs are still on track for April like they mentioned. I'll have to drop them a line to see what's up. :D

Trust me, they will! I'd rather see it sell out and need additional production runs vs. seeing it ignored. This kit proves that taking a risk is worth it, if done correctly. First is subject matter, second is making it accessible. Let the aftermarket companies provide the high-dollar super-detailing trinkets. The best model kits these days have sufficient detail OOB, making them actually buildable vs. intimidating. It's a fine balance, for sure. I hope we see more kits like this. There's still some low-hanging fruit out there like this that doesn't have to be done only by the aftermarket.

Absolutely!! I'm dying to see a nicely done '63 250 GT Lusso! Maybe even a well done '60-'61 250 GT SWB!

really looking forward to building this model :blink:

Just ordered one thru Hobby Link Japan...$26 plus $9 shipping, probably not beat that price when they hit the US

thanx for the heads up and lookin' forward to following your progress with the Ferrari 250

curt

Awww Geez..............I preordered mine back around New Years day from Hannant's. :D I hope theirs are still on track for April like they mentioned. I'll have to drop them a line to see what's up. B)

Bill,

You might try Hobby Link Japan. I ordered mine along with the photo-etched wheels on March 5 and received them March 12!!

Kerry

Bill,

You might try Hobby Link Japan. I ordered mine along with the photo-etched wheels on March 5 and received them March 12!!

Kerry

I did get a hold of Hannant's and they tell me that their orders are still on track for April. I should order from HLJ just the same as I did want to get more than one.

Shipping is probably a bit cheaper..............Shipping from the UK to the states is £10.00 which comes out to roughly $20 or so in today's money. :D