Model Cars Magazine Forum

What happened to Revell of Gemany Ferrari 250 SWB

Phildaupho

Earlier this year, the Revell of Germay website showed that a Ferrari 250 SWB was to be released later in 2012. There was speculation that this was an Italeri re-issue.The last time I checked the website, the listing was no longer there and some on-line vendors showed it as discontinued or out-of-stock. I would have definitely bought one of these kits as the SWB is one of my all time favorites.I do have the AMT kit which needs a lot to make presentable. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what happened.

It was the Italeri kit. Hopefuilly we will see this in the future. Luc, any word as to WHY it was cancelled?

I was told that the deal with Italeri fell through. I actually brought my Italeri 250 GT to Revell to see if it could be US boxed. It couldn't because of the parts trees makeup. Then a few weeks later I heard that Revell AG and Italeri did not "close" the deal. That is all I heard.

Edited by Exotics_Builder

Gerry, at one time that was true. Those were the years that no new (or repopped) Ferrari models were produced by either Tamiya OR Revell (right after the F50). Whether Mattel still has control of Ferrari licensing, I do not know.

Ken, so far Academy has boxed there of them: the F40, the California, and the Testarossa. None of them bear Ferrari name or decals. If they ever do box the SWB, it will sell like snow cones in July. If they box the 275GTB/4, even more so.

Didn't Gunze Sangyo offer a 250 in their Multi-Media High $$ kits??

Yes they did------but it wasn't proportioned as nice as the Italeri one. I had one but sold it on eBay recently. Could never quite get into the somewhat out of shape body and the metal chassis but no engine setup. Interesting that it had an "insert" for the engine. At the time the kit came out (late '80's?), it was rather pricey-------but if you took your time it could build into a nice model.

I like the Italeri one I did a lot better----despite having to do some corrections on it to make the Sterling Moss car I admire so much. ;)

Since I wanted my car to be more representative of Sterling Moss's '61 car............I had to change some things about the body. Italeri's version while not bad at all-------I thought the roof line was not quite right as the sail panel seemed a bit broad to my liking.

Here are a few pics of my build------sorry, I have no in progress pics as I built this back in 1998-99.......long before I had a digital camera or whatnot.

DCP_1437-vi.jpg

DCP_1444-vi.jpg

DCP_1447-vi.jpg

I remember modifying the front end as well, to represent Moss's car with the air ducts for the brakes. Also, the grille was modified a bit....................

P7090563-vi.jpg

P7090555-vi.jpg

I used Reps and Mins V-12 engine kit to detail it better.............Italeri's rendition of this engine leaves much to be desired IMO............

P7090547-vi.jpg

P7090546-vi.jpg

Of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone as the car had the dash modified to RHD..........as well a changing the linkage in the engine to represent such. My reference was an excellent Road and Track article from back then which showed the car as it existed at the time. My markings are a bit different as what the car would have raced with back in '61.

Edited by MrObsessive
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

I have a Ferrari 250 swb kit in my unbuilt pile.It is an ESCI kit- 1:24. It has the decals for the Stirling Moss- Rob Walker car. I would post a photo if I was able to.
Bruce, I have built 2 versions of the ESCI kit in the 80's: I have used the wheels from Italeri's GTO and done a lot of carving and puttying - still got no correct body - it is very distorted and clumsy. I tried to make a '60 race and a '61 street car out of it.
In my stash I do have 3 Italeri SWB's - still unbuilt - that look really good - at least their proportions - but they also have (albeit small) issues: some parts are simply taken over from the 250 GTO (as with the California spider), but I think you can live with that. This is more easily correctable than a totally wrong body.
Let's hope they still will reissue it!
Helmut

• 9 years later...
On 4/16/2012 at 2:31 AM, MrObsessive said:

Since I wanted my car to be more representative of Sterling Moss's '61 car............I had to change some things about the body. Italeri's version while not bad at all-------I thought the roof line was not quite right as the sail panel seemed a bit broad to my liking.

Here are a few pics of my build------sorry, I have no in progress pics as I built this back in 1998-99.......long before I had a digital camera or whatnot.

http://images36.fotki.com/v1177/photos/2/250280/2423673/DCP_1437-vi.jpg

http://images16.fotki.com/v258/photos/2/250280/2423673/DCP_1444-vi.jpg

http://images40.fotki.com/v1335/photos/2/250280/2423673/DCP_1447-vi.jpg

I remember modifying the front end as well, to represent Moss's car with the air ducts for the brakes. Also, the grille was modified a bit....................

http://images36.fotki.com/v1351/photos/2/250280/2423673/P7090563-vi.jpg

http://images36.fotki.com/v1352/photos/2/250280/2423673/P7090555-vi.jpg

I used Reps and Mins V-12 engine kit to detail it better.............Italeri's rendition of this engine leaves much to be desired IMO............

http://images43.fotki.com/v1325/photos/2/250280/2423673/P7090547-vi.jpg

http://images50.fotki.com/v1573/photos/2/250280/2423673/P7090546-vi.jpg

Of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone as the car had the dash modified to RHD..........as well a changing the linkage in the engine to represent such. My reference was an excellent Road and Track article from back then which showed the car as it existed at the time. My markings are a bit different as what the car would have raced with back in '61.

What a Great Model, Bill!

I have to emphasise though that this is perhaps the only model (and modeller) where we can find the correct (all four) SWB wheels and tires… usually we find SWB models with 250 GTO (big (and deeper) rears  and littles on the front), or 250 GTOs with all four identical wheels… this might possibly be a consequence of the attention paid by kit manufacturers: 250 GTO Fujimi with 4 equal wheels, only rear tires differ just some 0,8 mm… Italeri’s  SWB, California, 250 GTO and 275 GTB have the same four identical wheels and tires (as other identical interior parts too)!... Hasegawa’s 250 TR57 has correct tires, but rear wheels should be identical on the outer side and enlarged just on the inner side… AND, aftermarket makers usually do not help too…

Except MFH, if you visit KA Models, they have a 250 WIRE WHEEL for Hasegawa  Image01 (TR 57,but with some Englebert rear tires, NOT IN THE KIT!) where the outer side of the wheels would be correct for a 250 GTO (front on the left, deeper for rear on the right) BUT the rear wheel would have to be also larger in the inside (and would need correct tires for it…); they also have a 250 WIRE WHEEL for Italeri  Image02 where all four wheels seem to be identical and may fit the California, SWB and 275GTB models tires, and also a 250 WIRE WHEEL for Revell Images03 and 04, I suppose being proposed to fit the 250 GTO but… by the images provided ( 02 and 04) they seem to be also identical all four… even if the photoetches are not the same…

By the way, what wells did you use on your gorgeous SWB, MFH?

01 250 WIRE WHEEL for Hasegawa.jpg

02 250 WIRE WHEEL for Italeri.jpg

03 250 WIRE WHEEL for Revell.jpg

04 250 WIRE WHEEL for Revell 02.jpg

44 minutes ago, chaves pah said:

By the way, what wells did you use on your gorgeous SWB, MFH?

Thanks for the nice words! The wheels came from Detail Master as the spokes are PE. They are loooong out of production. I have a 3D printer now so if I wanted another set of Borrani's, I could print them. 😁

I don't remember now where the tires came from.......I believe they came from one of the Monogram kits since they were 1/24 scale for much of their existence until Revell took over.

It's been MANY years since I built that, and I still have it, albeit in a case to keep the dust away from it.