Model Cars Magazine Forum

Too much clear on body. What do I do?

Hey gang,

I recently painted the 1/12 mustang using dupli-color paint & clear. Now I noticed the body has a slight rough feel to it. I think I sprayed on too much clear. I would wetsand with 1500 grit after each clearcoat. I think the body has about 7 coats of clear. The hood is very smooth as is the spoiler but has less coats of clear. Maybe 4 at the most.

Anyway, how do I get rid of the rough feel on the body? Do i have to strip all the clear off & start over? I hope not but will if I need to. Is there a ploish or wax that would also make it smoother? Any help will be helpful. Thanks.

I had the same thing happen the other day. I very very lightly wet sanded using 600, enough to take the bumps out. Then wet sanded using 1000,2000,4000,6000,12000....then used ScratchX. You can opt out and just use 1000,2000...but will require a little more polishing. The key is light and slow, towel dry, look at it, repeat. Repeat.

Scratch X will remove light scratches and swirl marks. As others have said wet sanding till smooth and then a polish, Scratch X and then a nice coat of wax. This is all going to take you awhile but it can be done. When you cleared did you put on a "wet " coat ? Good luck. Can you post some photos ? Also in my opinion you don't need 7 coats of clear. This can sometimes be a case of more may not be better. Just my opinion others may disagree.

Well I ended up having to strip the paint & start over. I was trying to glue in a side window & got glue on the body. I tried to wipe it off but ended up making it worse. I had it just the way I wanted it until the incident. The body was very smooth. As of now I've repainted it black & havent added any clear coat. Its not as smooth as I want it but I will work on it. I cant tell you how many times I've wet sanded it. I've been using 1000 1500 & 2000 grit sandpaper. I did give it a couple coats of clear before the mishap. Once I figure out how to post pics, I will.

I like the way this kit is going together. It almost falls together. Like it so much I went to Hobby Lobby & bought another one with a 40% off coupon. This new one will be alittle different from the black one. Well back to try to make the black one better. LOL!!!

I noticed you said you got glue on the body when installing one of the side windows. Can I ask you what glue you were using ? if you use white glue or something like Krystal Klear you can wipe it off with a damp cloth with no damage to the paint on the body. Just a suggestion. Looking forward to seeing your build. After finishing my yellow one I am also thinking about building another one.

It wasnt either of them. It was the regular testors liquid glue. I went to the hobbyshop & bought some glue made for clear parts. Unfortunately this build didnt turn out the way I wanted. If it wasnt for the glue incident, it would've been perfect. I dont know if I will post pics of it as Im not happy with the way it turned out. Good thing I have another one to work on.

P.S. Did you have any trouble with the headlight lense? They seem alittle wide on mine. not sure but I had to sand them down alittle bit to make them fit better.