Model Cars Magazine Forum

See a bunch of these around nowa days

For a minimalist open vehicle, I'd like to drive an Ariel Atom sometime..

Texas has made Atoms illegal for street use. Some legislator's kid got killed, so they're all bad. The stupid 3 wheelers are still fine though, as are KTR's.

This state is nuts. Friend has one, blast at COTA.

Just saw the dog. That's idiotic.

Edited by keyser

Texas has made Atoms illegal for street use. Some legislator's kid got killed, so they're all bad. The stupid 3 wheelers are still fine though, as are KTR's.

This state is nuts. Friend has one, blast at COTA.

Just saw the dog. That's idiotic.

These were designed as a " Track-day " car in europe. Small, fast and affordable fun, not a road car.

These were designed as a " Track-day " car in europe. Small, fast and affordable fun, not a road car.

Yessir, aware of that. Still quite useable, and easily driven to track. No reason to outlaw when the X-bow, other track cars, and these idiotic 3 wheelers are still legal.

I'm about 50mi from COTA, and run out there fairly often. No reason not to drive it out there. Just knee-jerk legislation.

I wouldn't commute or haul my wife and a yappy dog in it. My black lab would love it though :D

Actually they were designed specifically as a road AND track car. Only the SRA Atoms are track only. The very earliest Atom's had turn signals, lights, brake lights and seatbelts. They are a absolute hoot to drive and driven calmly, they are very reminisent of old time wind in your hair sports cars of days gone by

We don't get much of the swoopy stuff up here. I imagine our roads would eat them up pretty quickly. We get a bunch of those side by side ATV things (Glorified golf carts) that run half on the road, half on the shoulder at 35 mph. People up here do some scary stuff while trying to pass them. the people who drive them are often too old or too young to drive a real car. I'm sure most are operated responsibly, but there are enough that aren't to make them a nuisance.

Whoever designed the "Slingshot" obviously has no sense of style. I can't find one part of the entire thing that you could say "flows". Hell, even the wheels are ugly. I wouldn't let my best friend park one in my driveway, just like I won't let my mother-in-law park her Pontiac Aztec in my driveway! :D

Steve